No announcement yet.

The Great XSive Air Filter Debate - Chapter 11 - Help Me Spend My $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to rain on the K+N parade because they did not add horsepower over a stock filter and they did not filter as well which is, after all, the point of a filter. Yes, the oil traps some particles but you can see the pores if you look at one with a light behind and that can't be good.

I used to use one years back but after finding gritty dirt and grime in my velocity stacks and on the top of my carb body, I tossed them and went back to "paper" filters. Just my opinion and experiences.

Go with a quality paper filter.
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      Yes, you got that right! I installed two of those on model E bikes and practically had to cut the damn air boxes in half. Actually I started out to remove the box and filter from only on bike to do other servicing. When I realized the horror of the situation, I had to keep going with the ginsu knife on the second bike (because I was crazy by then). Later bikes do not have the same clips for the air boxes...
      Well, that explains why I didn't have a clue what BA80 was referring to, since I use a foam UNI-Filter.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thank you for all the input on this matter!....

....hey there folks...i'm hoping the stone throwing is over and the dust is settling....very informative (as always) ideas presented here by the XS crowd!...let me take a few to get back to everyone!.....

natemoen......checked with the city and they knew not of the permit i was looking for!.....thinking of going to the dark side (k&n) and getting my "rock star" status patch for the leather....to put right along side this fine patch!
        [

jetmechmarty.....nice to hear of another kill switch that does its job at the wrong time!.....as far as the seat of my pants, i usually ride with just my speedo, chaps, & leather on!......all the hot girls around here wear shirts saying "how big is your air filter?!"......lastly, that pic you put up also looks like my daughter!.....you should have your fingers washed in soap for finding that link!

bikerphil.....don't plan on a air box backfire, but it could happen!.....if it does, i bet the flames will make the rebel devil "look" faster!....good enough for me!

briggs&stratton....was thinking about pods, but usually have no fear of riding in the rain and that would not work!.....also don't want to dig back into the carbs to re-do them!....rock star status is a must! (already bought the patch for the leather).....when the hot girls come running asking for Top Cat's autograph, i'll just tell them to hop on and i'll show them where he lives (my house)....after that, we can see where it goes!

cobia.....think i'm going your way and want to do the extra holes (quarter size?) but i know the need to be in the right spot!....i'm assuming they must be inside of the air filter at each end?....let me know if you could!

ba80....your d*mn right they didn't look like that back in high school!....i do have the pins and would rather not open up the air box with a cutting torch!...i do have long hair and have been trapped by the "creeper of death" a time or two!......not fun!....also might have to add your suggestion (dynamite) to the list of tools in the man cave from those listed below in skids reply!

prisoner6....i'm not the expert, and i'm sure we will find out but that is a good question as i plan on porting the bottom of the air box when i find out more about it!

skids.....i don't have a ginsu knife in the man cave and don't plan on getting one!....if i can't fix it with a hammer, a wrench, dynamite (thanks ba80) or a cutting torch, it isn't broke!

mikubuilder......no mice allowed in the man cave either......the snakes (used to guard the beer) usually eat them!

orange4......duly noted for one "no" vote!.....place is offering money back guarantee, but when i get the new one, i will definitely take a really good look to see what you are talking about!.....just tired of replacing the OEM one and finding out after 1 year riding, i need a new one!....once i get it up to speed, do i need a permit to hunt moose up in your area with the rebel devil?!

motoman.....once i get this problem fixed, can you please show me how to "air out" an 85' table top on the rebel devil?!

.....once again, thank you all for your advice and humor!.....i think i'm gonna take the plunge and go k&n!......i will let you know how it works out but for now i think this could be my future:

......ride hard, ride safe.....ross
        rebel devil
        1979 xs 1100f standard
        authenic historical vehicle
        42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
        "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
        "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
        '96 venture cct.....installed!
        stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Well, Ross , I picked up my bike pretty much where you live
          And mice nest was already in my air box, an usual occurrence with bikes sitting for years in a barn
          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Well, that explains why I didn't have a clue what BA80 was referring to, since I use a foam UNI-Filter.
            The older air boxes had a lock pin like THIS clipped in a small hole drilled in the bolts for the cover so they wouldn't fall out and drive you nuts when you were working on the filter. "Lock pins" is the perfect term for them when they get wrapped up in the foam.

Later Yamaha figured this out I guess and started using PAPER RETAINER WASHERS and they work better.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Here's some actual data comparing K&N to several other MFGs, although it is not an independent lab test:

http://www.r2cperformance.com/produc...r_testing.aspx
              Living to EXcess.

Comment

Here is a more independent test:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

And since I found it on the interwebs it must be true. Or at least it has some truthiness
                Last edited by Orange4; 04-29-2014, 06:25 PM.
                Living to EXcess.

Comment

The OEM filter (2H7-14451-00-00) has a list price of $38.99. I'm sure it's a great filter, but how long will it last? $45 will get me a filter (K&N) that I never have to buy again. A paper filter is a little over $15, but how does it compare to OEM? Each of us may come up with a different answer.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    The OEM filter (2H7-14451-00-00) has a list price of $38.99. I'm sure it's a great filter, but how long will it last? $45 will get me a filter (K&N) that I never have to buy again. A paper filter is a little over $15, but how does it compare to OEM? Each of us may come up with a different answer.
                    Well the OEM is a bit pricey alright. I'm probably splitting hairs anyway. I sure don't think the K&N is a bad filter, just not my preference.
                    Living to EXcess.

Comment

Originally posted by ross View Post
                      [
                      Ain't that the truth!

μολὼν λαβέ
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I do oil analysis on my ZRX 1200, and have K&N pod filters on that bike. That bike flows a crap ton of air. Air filtration always comes back looking great in every sample I have ever sent in.

The pods filter extremely well, no difference in conaminants with pods compared to other guys running the stock airbox and filter, period.

The proof is in the analysis, as the analysis company has no horse in that race, and have no clue as to what filter system being used.

Out of curiosity, I am sending an oil sample in from the 80SG with a K&N in the stock air box, not drilled. Will share with you all the results to help lay this to rest.

Go with the K&N, you will be very happy and never buy another filter again.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

The Clymer manual states in the air cleaner paragraph that the stock filter can be cleaned by tapping it and blowing the remaining dirt out from the inside with compressed air. If you use judicious distance and pressure, I don't think that you will hurt the element. The OEM has a fuzzy outer layer that catches big pieces, and a finer inner material that catches the dust.
                          The down side is that the foam gasket on the top and bottom rims can degrade over time, but it can be renewed with foam salvaged from various sources.

CZ

Comment

Working...
                          X