The Great XSive Air Filter Debate - Chapter 11 - Help Me Spend My $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great XSive Air Filter Debate - Chapter 11 - Help Me Spend My $$$

....hey there folks...before the stone throwing begins just want to hear some other experiences on air filters......running stock air box on the rebel devil and found the air filter was dirty....this was found out just after i realized that the reason i had no spark, was because of a silly little KILL switch effectively doing its job......now, the question i ask......stock OEM filter or live the life of a rock star and go with a K & N???.....pros......cons......which will get me more free beer?......which will make her go just a wee bit faster than the cop car behind me?....do i need a permit to purchase?......which will make more hot girls want to go for a ride?.....which will allow me to do a 6 sec 1/4 mile?......which one will allow me to hunt wild bison in the midwest?......you are welcome to add any experience you have had one way or another.......just want to get a feel of the normal XSive that said "i want to live the rock star life" and jumped off the cliff......(and the stone throwing commences)....ride hard, ride safe.....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Go with the k&n YA-1400 is the part number you need.

It will do all the things you ask for and you don't even need a permit for it!

Rock Star status achieved!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

One day I was riding in a downpour on my XS650. I'm sitting at a light and it goes green. The bike stalled, and the electric leg was inop. So there I am kicking away in the pouring rain. I had to give in an push the bike off the road. I can't figure out what's wrong, find a pay phone (it was a while back), call my wife to come fetch me. She shows up and the kill switch is tripped.

As far as filters:

Mike's XS has one for $13.95.

Partzilla has three options for your air box, including the K&N at $45. They also have pod filters including those from Uni.

IMHO, you buy the K&N and you never buy another filter. Seat of the pants, I don't expect you'll know the difference from one filter to another. Hot girls don't care about your air filter.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Some of the cheapo aftermarket paper type filters require some bending of the metal frame to get them to fit the air box correctly. I just went thru this with a member's bike and had to go to town on the filter with a channel locks. I think he got it from PartsNmore, maybe he will chime in. YMMV. I run K&n in my bikes, it will be the last one you will ever have to buy. I have used a foam type one once but it ended up melted from a backfire in the air box.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have no grounds for comparison, because my bike didn't come with a stock airbox, but im running pods, the cheap amazon emgo chrome tapered pods. I followed TopCats instructions and made a set of velocity stacks the way he made his, and the bike revs to 10k no problem, and quick. Its worth mentioning that I rejetted my carbs after doing this.

I really like how they look, too, but that's an aesthetic opinion.

Rockstar status? I'm not sure, because when all the hot girls run up to the bike, they ask if I know TopCat and if I can get them an autograph.
          79 SF

IG "9mmHeater"

Comment

I went the K&N route and I'm very happy. If you want some extra air going through there drill a couple of quarter size holes in the bottom of the airbox as I did. Oh, and don't forget to cut the snorkel down to about a couple of inches, it'll make carb removal a lot easier because you remove the airbox first. Tricks I learned from BikerPhil, credit where it's due.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              MARTY! She's like 16 years old. (they didn't look like that when I was in high school)
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

BTW Ross, I have a stock airbox and use the Uni reusable foam filter. I like it. The only thing is if you have pins on the bolts for the airbox either don't use a foam filter or get rid of the pins. They get wrapped up in the foam and you will play hell getting the airbox off. Once they get caught in the foam they wont turn EITHER WAY!!!!!!!! Kinda like rolling up under a car with a creeper with long hair and it gets wrapped around a wheel. You just gotta do what you gotta do. The little paper push on things that hold the bolts from falling out work well though.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  MARTY! She's like 16 years old. (they didn't look like that when I was in high school)
                  I did a Google Image search for "Hot Girl". It was one of a very few pics that came up OK for a family friendly site.

Among the pods, the UNI's have a reputation for working the best with CV carbs. (Only if you insist upon removing the airbox)
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

I did a Google Image search for "Hot Girl". It was one of a very few pics that came up OK for a family friendly site.
                    I have daughters that age.

Among the pods, the UNI's have a reputation for working the best with CV carbs. (Only if you insist upon removing the airbox)
                    This is the one I use WITH the air box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-81-Yamaha...-/111139084940
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                      If you want some extra air going through there drill a couple of quarter size holes in the bottom of the airbox as I did. Oh, and don't forget to cut the snorkel down to about a couple of inches, it'll make carb removal a lot easier ...
                      Just a quick side question, guys ...

I have the K&N filter with the stock airbox ...

Will either of these tips (especially drilling the holes) affect the lean-ness/richness of the mixture?
                      Marco

Current bikes:
                      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                      1979 Honda CBX
                      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I have daughters that age.

This is the one I use WITH the air box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-81-Yamaha...-/111139084940
                        Your filter is in the Partzilla link I posted. I think it's $19 over there.

My daughters are older than that too.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

only thing is if you have pins on the bolts for the airbox either don't use a foam filter or get rid of the pins. They get wrapped up in the foam and you will play hell getting the airbox off. Once they get caught in the foam they wont turn EITHER WAY!!!!!!!! Kinda like rolling up under a car with a creeper with long hair and it gets wrapped around a wheel. You just gotta do what you gotta do. The little paper push on things that hold the bolts from falling out work well though.
                          Yes, you got that right! I installed two of those on model E bikes and practically had to cut the damn air boxes in half. Actually I started out to remove the box and filter from only on bike to do other servicing. When I realized the horror of the situation, I had to keep going with the ginsu knife on the second bike (because I was crazy by then). Later bikes do not have the same clips for the air boxes...
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            Yes, you got that right! I installed two of those on model E bikes and practically had to cut the damn air boxes in half. Actually I started out to remove the box and filter from only on bike to do other servicing. When I realized the horror of the situation, I had to keep going with the ginsu knife on the second bike (because I was crazy by then). Later bikes do not have the same clips for the air boxes...
                            Yep, the DAY I was leaving for a trip that happened to me. I was seriously considering dynamite to get that damn thing apart.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I had a mouse nest in mine, it took a lot of cussing but finally got the bottom off, lol
                              I think I had it split enough to get needle nose pliers to pull pins out
                              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                              X