Starting on 2-3 Cylinders, Fine After That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting on 2-3 Cylinders, Fine After That

So I've got a peculiar problem. When I got to start my bike I throw the choke out all the way and I have to open the throttle about 1/4 to get it to start. When it does I leave it idling (still full choke) and it take about 15-20 seconds before all the cylinders start firing. It seems like on initial start up I'm missing at least one (either #3 or #4) because not only is it an audible change when it start firing but the exhaust pressure changes (held my hand next to the right hand side pipe).

I'm rocking the 4-2 headers with now baffled pipes. After those initial 15-20 seconds it purrs right along and I don't have any issue with it. It even behaves like it's supposed to on choke (full choke RPMs increase, then down to half until they increase, then no choke for normal idle once it warms up a bit). It's just weird having it only start on 3 cylinders almost every time from a cold start.

The carbs have been cleaned VERY thoroughly. All new jets, seals (butterfly seals included), idle screws + washer + o-ring, everything has been gone through (if any of you remember from previous threads).

I'm not really sure what the deal it but I'm guess once of the cylinders is starving for fuel for a second and then after that everything goes fine. Also, these have been vacuum synced.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Are the plugs new?

CZ

Comment

When you start the bike-spritz the pipes-even on choke-when they sizzle that will give you an indication if all 4 are firing.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Didn't read the carb cleaning thread you speak of, but I'm betting the little jets that are in your carb BOWLS are plugged on a couple.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          Didn't read the carb cleaning thread you speak of, but I'm betting the little jets that are in your carb BOWLS are plugged on a couple.
          This is what I was thinking. I had the same issue and it was the little hole in the bowl itself that was plugged up. That is where the enricher (choke) gets its fuel for initial startup.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I am with you both on the small holes in the bowl that feed the enrichners.
            They can be tough to clean out lots of compressed air a few I needed a wire. I always blast with carb cleaner with the small red hose not satisfied till its blasting through the bowl
            82 XJ1100J
            81 Venturer
            Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

When you set up the carbs were your float levels dead even with each other?
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                Are the plugs new?

CZ
                Pretty new, less than 400 miles on them. VERY strong spark on all with the dynateks I have. It can jump a 3/4" gap when holding them away from the engine.

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                When you start the bike-spritz the pipes-even on choke-when they sizzle that will give you an indication if all 4 are firing.
                Unfortunately, the problem doesn't persist long enough for me to do that. It only happens for 15-20 seconds and that combine with my header wrap makes it difficult to do a heat test. I'm thinking if I pull one of the #3 or #4 spark plugs that if the bike goes dead it's the other cylinder because that will be the one that is firing vice versa.

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                I'm not sure I'm familiar with the little jets you're speaking of. I have late model 1980 carb bodies on this one. Are you talking about that little brass tube that protrudes out of the carb body and into the bowls? Also, I'm not sure how they could have gotten plugged. The carbs were dipped and completely broken down and cleaned when I did them. The nets are all still intact on the float seats and the gas tank has been completely refurbished (de-rusted and sealed). It's only been 2-3 months since the carb overhaul and it hasn't sat for more than a week without running. I will blow some carb cleaner through there even though it was just done about 2 weeks ago when I bumped up my mains.
                Last edited by D0wn5h1ft; 04-27-2014, 08:54 AM.
                79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

Comment

I pulled the #3 plug cap while it was in this "weird" period and that's definitely the cylinder not firing on start up.

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                    I'm not sure I'm familiar with the little jets you're speaking of. I have late model 1980 carb bodies on this one. Are you talking about that little brass tube that protrudes out of the carb body and into the bowls? Also, I'm not sure how they could have gotten plugged. .
                    The brass tube goes down into the carb bowl and at the bottom of the hole in the bowl is a little orfice that can get clogged and that's where the choke circuit gets its fuel.

Just be careful when spraying carb cleaner in there. IT WILL SHOOT BACK AND GET YOU IN THE EYE! DAMHIK. BTDT.
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                      The brass tube goes down into the carb bowl and at the bottom of the hole in the bowl is a little orfice that can get clogged and that's where the choke circuit gets its fuel.

Just be careful when spraying carb cleaner in there. IT WILL SHOOT BACK AND GET YOU IN THE EYE! DAMHIK. BTDT.
                      I have known few pains like getting hit in the eye with a stream of carb cleaner while wearing contacts. The best part is all you can do is wait for it to evaporate and hope the tears clean it out...

Comment

My bike, after sitting a long period will do this. I have now since turned it to PRI on the fuel selector and let it sit a few seconds before I attempt to start. Seems to start easier. I was thinking that it needed to get the fuel to the carb because it evaporated out of the bowl(s)....I could be wrong...haven't cleaned the carbs in forever either. She starts every time though!
                        Cheers!
                        Tim
                        1979 XS1100F
                        4 into 1 Jardine, single POD airfilters, custom paint
                        Branded title
                        Work in progress since 2000

We have to get on! We have to get on! We have So much time and so little to do!.....strike that, reverse that!! :P

Comment

Working...
                        X