Finally Up and Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Up and Running

Took the bike out for a 40 mile spin late this afternoon. I'm embarrassed to say that is the first time it's been running since I tore it all apart at the end of 2011. It felt great to be riding it again. Back then - [IMG][/IMG] And now - [IMG][/IMG] In the light - [IMG][/IMG]

There are a couple small things I'm looking for some advice on.
    - The green neutral light stays on all the time, not just when I'm in neutral?

- I delinked the brakes and used this front m/c http://www.mikesxs.net/product/08-0265.html Now have 2 things happening. The brake warning light on the XJ console stays on all the time as this replacement m/c has no fluid level sensor like the stock m/c did. The other thing is the angle that the mirror threads in is different so the 2 mirrors are at different angles.

- I went with pods for ease of removing the carbs so there is no air box to vent the crankcase breather hose. I routed it over the u-joint boot and down. After returning I noticed a small spot of oily water on the concrete under the tube. Is this normal? Should I fasten the end of the hose up high under the seat?

- Lastly it appears my fork seals now need to be replaced after sitting for long...where do you guys normally buy them?

As always, appreciate the help.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Looks very nice indeed, I must say.

Re the neutral light... I've been fiddling about with mine. Have you checked that the wire is connected to the top of the sensor, which is under the right side of the engine? The light will stay on (I think) if it's not connected...

Have you tried earthing the m/c sensor wire?

Personally, I'd buy Yamaha fork seals. I had problems with two sets of pattern ones that I used on the XJR.

Your breather pipe really should be high up, IMO. OEM connects to the airbox which is higher than the UJ boot. You could connect a small filter to the end of it too....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Running

Bike looks very nice Billy.

The condensation from the crankcase vent is normal. Crankcase temperatures are much higher than ambient temperature when bike is at normal temperature. When this very hot air hits outside air, condensation happens - every time. You are unable see this when the stock air box is installed.

I agree with James on using the Yamaha fork seals. I have found some good pricing at Boats.net.

Good job.

Mike
      Last edited by MPittma100; 04-25-2014, 08:42 AM.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Nice job on the restore.

+1 on the Boats.net for the seals. They are perfect. I got mine from there and they came in nice crispy Yammy plastic bags. Now wish I bought two sets, one for each bike.
        Living to EXcess.
        1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
        Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
        1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

According to boats.net site the seals for the XJ are only used on that bike and no longer available, appears the XS seal is used on all the XS bikes and are still available...had to get them off Ebay.
          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

I've used these All Balls seals on XJ's before and they were good quality and worked well with no leaks, YMMV.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X