Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REBEL DEVIL DOWN!.....no sparky, no go-ey!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REBEL DEVIL DOWN!.....no sparky, no go-ey!...

....hey there kids, i know it's been a while, but back again for assistance from the XS collective....i got her all ready to ride only to pull it back in the man cave and find that i have no spark!....now, i have read up on it so hold on throwing stones until you hear me out.....i check the resistance on the wires coming out of the TCI and got 741 (white/red-white/green) and 733 (yellow/red-yellow/green) so that would tell me the pick up coil wires are good....then it gets weird....with power on, i get these readings for the 8 pin connector to ground:

grey - 12v
    white/red - 12v
    black/white - .059v
    orange - 12 v
    red/yellow - .06v
    red/white -12v
    black - 4.8 ohms

...now i have a feeling this is just the beginning of a long project that will require many nights of dinner in the man cave followed by some serious 12 oz therapy....the thing that really gets me is she was fine when i put her away last season.....this season, i installed new fuel lines and filters, but other than that, nada....any help the XS collective could give, i'm open to.....the thing that grinds my gears is that today is the best riding weather so far this season......thanks in advance to all that can offer suggestions.....ride hard, ride safe.....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Bad Ground

Ross! How's it goin'!

The voltages at the TCI connector look okay but I think you've got a bad ground somewhere: Black - 4.8 Ohms (should be zero Ohms)

Make sure the Black wires that connect to the frame next to the voltage regulator and the ground cable from the battery negative terminal to the middle drive are all clean and tight.

Also, double-check the tipover switch and make sure it didn't come loose, fall off, or something.

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

.....hey there 3phase!.....been doing pretty good except for the no bikey running at the moment!.....took your advice and cleaned the battery cable to frame ground area (funky).....the only black wires i'm seeing by the voltage regulator are attached directly to the rear screw of the v/r....pulled them and cleaned them anyway....checked the black wire on the tci and still the same...also, if this will help, i did go through a couple of years ago an replace the fuse block with blade fuses thanks to TC.....HOLD ON A SEC.................yep, figured it out!.....living north of detroit, i like to keep the things i own!......there is a little switch on the right side of the bike just behind the air cleaner and inside the frame under the side cover....you can not see it just walking up on the bike.....ITS THE DARN KILL SWITCH I INSTALLED LAST YEAR!!!!.......and yep, it still works like a charm!.....i think i got the "problem" solved with a simple flip of the switch!.......you all can now start throwing stones at the village idiot!.....just don't hit the bike because the he will be putting the Rebel Devil back together for me while i practice my 12 oz curls!........(nominates himself for XS village idiot of the year award)....thanks for helping the handicapped!....ride hard, ride safe!.....ross
      rebel devil
      1979 xs 1100f standard
      "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
      i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

You know, if that was the dumbest thing I've ever done on my bike... <laughing> You'd have probably found the switch eventually anyway when you finished the 12oz curls and tipped over next to the bike and had to look up at the side covers.

You've still got a bad ground somewhere but if it runs, revs, holds power without dropping cylinders or getting 25mpg just leave it alone and don't worry about it.

-- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

....and the adventure continues!....

...hey there 3phase!......yea, when i flipped the kill switch, i check the ohms on the black wire.....ZERO.....so......threw it back together!....was thinking (bad for me) about maybe taking a test spin.....figured i'd fire her up and let her warm and give it a go!......well, she runs, but i figured the end of the driveway (40 ft) was just to far to push it back in case it went bad....runs only on full choke and can barely keep an idle...she revs somewhat but not anywhere close to normal.....i did get it to somewhat rev over 4k, but is just even close to normal!.....now i wonder if carb surgery is in order?.....i have done it before and it's a PIA, but not impossible....not that i want to volunteer, but one must do what one must do!....she wanted to go, but without full choke, she just would not start.....wondering if a pinched fuel line would be the problem as i just replaced them and i have a screwy way to run them so i can have both a fuel filter and a fuel SHUT OFF on each line (came to me as a revelation during a 6 quart "oil" change that smelled like i was draining the fuel tank).....just not sure at this point.....will ponder the adventure before me over a couple 12 oz curls and look at it again tomorrow....ride hard, ride safe....ross
          rebel devil
          1979 xs 1100f standard
          "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"

Comment

Working...
          X