saturday carb cleaning discoveries - brass snorkels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saturday carb cleaning discoveries - brass snorkels

So I pulled the carbs from my '81 XS11 and I noticed a few things.

-There were no rubber caps over pilot jet holes. At first I thought, "how would someone lose all 4 caps?" I then read that some years have these caps and other years do not. I guess I won't worry about it then.

-What are these odd brass snorkels? See photo. Some owner before me soldered these little brass handles to the airbleed screws. I didn't realize what I was looking at until I removed them. I guess they make sense, because you are able to gauge your turns in situ.

Now tomorrow I will soak the parts. I have never actually soaked carb throttle bodies, but everywhere seems to suggest that. I usually just scrub with toothbrush and WD-40 and a needle for the holes in the jets. Should I go get some carb dunker?

<BR><BR>

81H Venturer

past bikes
    1990 Suzuki VX800
    1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    1995 BMW K75SA

carb clean

instead of wd40 or carb cleaner use the original formula
    of pine-sol
    it's much cheaper doesn't ruin rubber parts and works GREAT.
    I'm sure you can find it in the search forum here.
    slightly dilute it .soak for no more than 24 hrs. rinse repeatedly
    compressed air may or not be necessary but is suggested.
    don't forget to set float levels ,air mix screws 2-2-1/2 turns out
    bench synch, install, synch with carb stix or equvilent
    put into first gear and ride
    Joe
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

XXV---- for sure, looks like all 4 of your needles have the tips broken off. They are in the carb bodies, and you will have to push them out w/ a plastic type of BBoard push pin. I had 2 broken off in mine. The needles should be almost as sharp as a push pin on the end. Look in the hole where they meter, and you will se no light, and that means they are plugged with the end of the needle. No leaning/ enrichening mix can happen with them plugged. Not sure if I posted this, but have a look here for some help---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nlrP-yn2I
      Last edited by MarkD; 04-20-2014, 09:11 AM. Reason: sp.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Those rubber caps may not be missing. Is there a passage between the pilot and main jet tunnel? If that passage is not there, the rubber plugs are not supposed to be there.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Those rubber caps may not be missing. Is there a passage between the pilot and main jet tunnel? If that passage is not there, the rubber plugs are not supposed to be there.
          Oh great, I didn't realize they were broken, since they are all the exact same length and their tips look identical. Too bad I already completed my order to mikesxs.net, because if I make another order w just 4 new air screws, it would be $10 just for for shipping. Boo.
          81H Venturer

past bikes
          1990 Suzuki VX800
          1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
            XXV---- for sure, looks like all 4 of your needles have the tips broken off. They are in the carb bodies, and you will have to push them out w/ a plastic type of BBoard push pin. I had 2 broken off in mine. The needles should be almost as sharp as a push pin on the end. Look in the hole where they meter, and you will se no light, and that means they are plugged with the end of the needle. No leaning/ enrichening mix can happen with them plugged. Not sure if I posted this, but have a look here for some help---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95nlrP-yn2I
            Those needles are fine. The handles are interesting and probably a pretty good idea. They are from the 81 (later) carbs and are of a different design Mark. there should also be a small washer and O- ring as well as the spring.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            +1.....look for that passage
            Last edited by BA80; 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              Those needles are fine. The handles are interesting and probably a pretty good idea. They are from the 81 (later) carbs and are of a different design Mark. there should also be a small washer and O- ring as well as the spring.

+1.....look for that passage
              no cross-over in those carbs. The idle-mix screws are fine as BA80 stated. Be sure and use a toothpic for final cleaning of all the air-bleed holes in pilot jets and emulsion tubes. Use a magnifying glass under good light to inspect cleanliness of emulsion tubes and pilot jets. No matter how good you may think your eyes are, be surprised with magnification assist what you see inside one of those pilot jets. Make sure that teeny pin-hole in bottom of pilot jets is clear also.

See one of the idle mix screws is missing the teeny-tiny O-ring/washer.

After cleaning and re-assembly, bench-set those idle-mix screws at 3.5 turns out from lightly seated for initial start-up.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Sorry about the misinformation on the needles. My F's needles have the sharp ends, and I assumed?? all of the cv bs 34's did, too. Oops.
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  no cross-over in those carbs. The idle-mix screws are fine as BA80 stated. Be sure and use a toothpic for final cleaning of all the air-bleed holes in pilot jets and emulsion tubes. Use a magnifying glass under good light to inspect cleanliness of emulsion tubes and pilot jets. No matter how good you may think your eyes are, be surprised with magnification assist what you see inside one of those pilot jets. Make sure that teeny pin-hole in bottom of pilot jets is clear also.

See one of the idle mix screws is missing the teeny-tiny O-ring/washer.

After cleaning and re-assembly, bench-set those idle-mix screws at 3.5 turns out from lightly seated for initial start-up.
                  While I am glad that my idle screws are fine, I can only find two washers and one O-ring :| I'll use a hook to fish around for a washer but I think I found all that there is.

On another note, one of my air pilot jets was stripped at the head and I had to use a back-out tool to remove it. I am wondering if I should just dremel the head and reuse it?

On another mother, I'm going with pods and selling my stock airbox on eBay in case anyone is in the market. Those stock boxes are just a pain in the butt. And yeah, I may have to re-jet. We'll see.
                  81H Venturer

past bikes
                  1990 Suzuki VX800
                  1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

Those pilot jets are cheap and readily available HERE. For that price you might just as well replace them all.

The stock air box is designed to optimize performance and really isn't that difficult to deal with when you learn how. XJ'ers have a legitimate reason for swapping but an XS is really pretty simple
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you have a shop near by that works on weedeaters they may have the orings that will work and washers.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends
                      Rear trunk add-on
                      http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Once you learn how to remove and replace the carburetors with the box in place it is no trouble. Removing it means you have four carburetors hanging on the manifolds unsupported. You also introduce a tuning headache. CV carbs work best with the still air of the box.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          Those pilot jets are cheap and readily available HERE. For that price you might just as well replace them all.

The stock air box is designed to optimize performance and really isn't that difficult to deal with when you learn how. XJ'ers have a legitimate reason for swapping but an XS is really pretty simple
                          Thanks for the link! previously, I was on MikeXS.net and they have really high prices for shipping so the link you provided is far cheaper.

I've read about the whole airbox vs pod debacle and I get how the carbs/pods hanging off the manifolds would put stress on the rubber boots, however if I wrestle with the boots every time I want to pull the carbs off, then I would be putting stress on the boots then too. I realize that this is a very tired discussion and I didn't want to open it all up again, but those are my $0.02.
                          Anywho...I really really want to get this bike running...and running well
                          81H Venturer

past bikes
                          1990 Suzuki VX800
                          1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

Originally posted by XXV View Post
                            Thanks for the link! previously, I was on MikeXS.net and they have really high prices for shipping so the link you provided is far cheaper.

I've read about the whole airbox vs pod debacle and I get how the carbs/pods hanging off the manifolds would put stress on the rubber boots, however if I wrestle with the boots every time I want to pull the carbs off, then I would be putting stress on the boots then too. I realize that this is a very tired discussion and I didn't want to open it all up again, but those are my $0.02.
                            Anywho...I really really want to get this bike running...and running well
                            ..........then I'd also advise using the stock air-box as suggested.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I got this advice last year from motoman on the washers/o-rings for the mixture screws
                              Several sources for the idle mix....some good....some not so.... If you remove idle mix screws, your likely gonna need the teeny-teeny o-rings for all four and possibly the teeny-teeny washers that o-rings ride on. Over years those tiny o-rings get hard and break into tiny pieces once you disturb those idle mix screws. NA for either from mother Yammy, but your in luck as they are still avaiable from Suzuki. O-ring part#:13295-29900 Washer#:13291-29900. If replacing idle mix screws(which they are not usually an issue on the later carbs), any source will work and don't have to be actual Genuine Mikuni like the pilot, main, and air jets have to be. K&L and RD are copies of Mikuni, but unfortunately not sized equivelant to Mikunis even tho they be stamped the same size. Jetting HAS to be Genuine Mikuni with these carbs or you'll chase your tail trying to tune out any glitches.
                              I'm sure he'll confirm but I think these fit all the XS's, I ordered them from the local Suzuki dealer.
                              Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Working...
                              X