Is this for real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this for real?

I thought big bore kits were expensive??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80-81-Yama...item3cdb848b39
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Originally posted by James England View Post
    I thought big bore kits were expensive??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80-81-Yama...item3cdb848b39
    Ships from Japan, but no information as to what it is. I believe I would avoid it. It could be a good deal if they said it was old stock, but I going to assume it's just cheap junk based on the lack of information.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Big bore kit

I tried to gain more info on these kits with limited results.
      I know that they are cast not forged which I believe are the same as our stock ones.
      Nothing conclusive as to our 1100's however they also offer kits for misc. other machines .
      The info I was able to glean was that they were slightly less tall (1 mm)
      than a stock piston and there had been a small discrepancy in weight between one piston and the next.
      These were exchanged by the supplier and were installed in the bike(kaw..h1/h2)and no problems had developed in a few hundred miles.
      I have not attempted to discover further info .
      I was hopeful that someone here might be brave enough to attempt their installation
      kind of a pricey chancy proposition. Maybe we should do some kind of a group
      thing where we take a tired old engine .fit it with these ...see what happens..
      I would contribute some parts or money
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Hey Marty/James,

Where you guys been?? This appears to be the same "inexpensive" kit that is sold on the USA ebay as well, and VIPER Ron already did this, he got it and installed it on his Standard, and rode it to XS Southeast and back home. He says it's been doing great, no real big improvement in POWER as we know that doing this is more for refreshing a worn out of spec engine, not so much for any real added boost of power!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Oops.... Didn't realise it was the same one.... It's definitely inexpensive though..well certainly for here, where a small bike single piston can cost $40. Even a head gasket is expensive...
          Last edited by James England; 04-20-2014, 03:30 AM.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Works great James it does deliver a little more power and definately I am glad I did it. The pistons in this kIt are the exact same as the original Yamaha except there is a slight relief in the top diameter of the piston. I think they did this to improve ring preasure. I have the jetting right now for the bike and gas milage is 41 at 75 mph running a little rich. Since I replaced the main bearing seals and can really guage things with oil there is no usage. I can measure. 2 things I do suggest is to get a good shop to do the cylinder bore. Make sure to leave at least a .0018 piston gap. Get a high amp AGM battery because when it is warm the compression is really high and you will not start it with a standard battery. Stone cold mine is in the 170psi range.

Because the rings are really tight I used a different method to instal pistons. I put pistons in cylinder assembly on bench. The inside wrist pin clip installed. Push the 2 and 3 pistons down till the wrist pin just has enough space to slide in and align with rod. Put in wrist pin and outside clips. Then follow the same procedure with pistons 1 and 4. Its much easier and less chance of snapping a ring.

Although this kit works great you can get a Weisco kit and spend 500 or more on it if you want the name and you are made of money.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends