Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel exhaust manifold studs + nuts

Hi XSives

I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I thought I'd at least pass this on for consideration. I can get stainless steel header studs made here in the UK, with an Allen bolt socket on one end to facilitate screwing them into the head, plus stainless washers and spring washers and nuts. The studs are 40mm long, approx 1.5mm shorter than OEM and they have no bulge in the middle. I can get a full set of eight, shipped to the USA by small packet airmail for a total cost of $22

They are obviously not OEM but would be a vast improvement over using cut pieces of threaded rod which, I find, can be a bit problematical on the threads where they have been cut. I've found in the past that even with filing and messing with the cut threads, it's still possible to cross thread the nuts or even the threads in the head, because of a tiny bit of swarf or inaccuracy,

I don't know what you pay over the pond for this sort of thing but thought I would pass it on as a possible point to ponder. If anyone wants any, just let me know and I can mail them in the same way as I have done with the bearings....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

James, you might want to check your supplier and see what sort of stainless the parts are made of. Stainless against stainless of the same alloy will gall, and there we are again. A hard and soft stainless isn't as bad.
    Never seize might help, but regular steel nuts would be a better option, in my opinion.
    Just a caveat,

CZ

Comment

The stainless nuts against the steel OEM studs would be the best way to go. Or brass nuts on Stainless studs would be even better.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
      X