Air Box Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Box Gasket

Hello guys, i bought my self an 81 xs1100 special last spring. lots of maintenance and repairs over the past year. some upgrades, like fork brace, fork springs, and intake boots. hope to ride soon, if winter would end.
    i am wondering if any one knows where to find a replacement gasket that goes between the two halves of the air box or something that might work.

Thanks
    Scott
    81 SH

In the past, I've used a thin bead of bathroom silicone sealer in there. Ok, when it comes to changing or cleaning the air filter, it often pulls the sealer out but then you just replace it with more silicone.... just a tiny thin bead will do, with the airbox halves being immediately put together before it sets...
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Foam door weather stripping works perfectly fine. And it is super cheap!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

ScottP----+1 on the natem post-- foam WX stripping will do. But what I really want to post about is---Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, really? Small world, my wife's father was born there. We went there to the Hungarian Center for a 4 family reunion, as those branches are all Canadiens. We also went to Moosejaw, and the big town of Cupar, where we had over 120 family members attend another reunion at the town hall. Cousin George Rosenau claims in Regina you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.
        79 F
        Previously owned: (among others)
        1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
        1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
        1973 Suzuki TM 125
        1979 XS1100 F
        2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
        1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
          ScottP----+1 on the natem post-- foam WX stripping will do. But what I really want to post about is---Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, really? Small world, my wife's father was born there. We went there to the Hungarian Center for a 4 family reunion, as those branches are all Canadiens. We also went to Moosejaw, and the big town of Cupar, where we had over 120 family members attend another reunion at the town hall. Cousin George Rosenau claims in Regina you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.
          Ya the hungarian club, been there a time or two. and yes there are some places in saskatchewan were you could see your dog run away for three days. its all so good for those moments of full throttle.. and hold it as long as you like..
          81 SH

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. i think the foam strip might work best for me as i tend to take things apart a lot.
            81 SH

Comment

okay, i installed weather strip as the new seal between the air box and i think it works better that the original gasket.
              i noticed after washing the air box that the velocity stacks have a tab on them and the out side ones are different than the inside. was wondering if anyone knows what position the tabs should be in ? or just position them with what works best.
              81 SH

Comment

Working...
              X