XJ 1100 Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 1100 Wiring Question

I'm turning my 82 XJ1100 into a bobber. I removed the old gauge cluster and relocated the key ignition into the right side plastic cover. I'm only running a speedometer and a new set of signal lights up top. What do I do with the huge cluster of wires located behind the head light?

I'll start by saying that my electrical skills are poor at best. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that's in good enough detail to read properly (assuming I could understand it). What I have been able to determine is.

1) The wires coming off the key ignition run directly to the main box below the seat bypassing the gauge cluster.

2) the wires running to the gauge cluster start from the box, run into the headlight housing then branch off into the gauges with some wires returning back into the box.

Are the wires that run into the gauge cluster and return to the box important? They're powering a gauge cluster that no longer exists. I'm assuming that if I cut them off I may screw up the charging system? I really don't know whats acceptable when it comes to the electrical part of this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need any aditional pics or info to assist me, let me know. As of right now, my project is at a stand still.

(In the second last pic, the wires I'm holding are the ignition wires. They don't connect to the gauge cluster at all.)

Last edited by Wulfonce; 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM.
    XS1100 bobber project

I don't believe that the charging system goes through that cluster but I have been known to be wrong. The biggest issue would be the lights (headlight High/low and turn signals) if you get all that worked out you should be fine. The "computer" was information for the rider and not a fail system to keep the bike from running.

Go through it systematically. Check your charging system before removing wires remove one check system then repeat. That way if it stops working you will know which wire it was.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

The biggest issues you'll have is all the lighting except for the turns goes through the cluster, so some fairly extensive rewiring will be needed depending on how 'clean' you want the final product. What I would suggest is using the separate circuit diagrams in the unit repair section of the FSM (not the 'everything' diagram at the back) for the XS models and 'convert' your XJ wiring to those. Wire colors mostly match so that will help, as well as the fact that the switches function the same. There's no magic here, but thinking 'logically' about how the circuit works will be a big help. Two things to note; the XJ doesn't have the 'headlight relay' but instead has additional contacts in the 'start' pushbutton that disconnects the headlight when starting only, and I believe you need to remove the XJ 'reserve lighting unit' as it gets it's signals from the cluster.

The charging and ignition circuits won't be affected.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...