Got my XS11 on the road again, have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my XS11 on the road again, have some questions

So my XS was at my parents house over the winter and during one of the really bad storms the car port it was in collapsed doing a little bit of damage. From what I can tell; what was damaged was the perch for the clutch handle which I replaced. The brake lever was bent out I replaced that the bulb was shot for the but it was bad before I started for the winter, regardless replaced that. and some cosmetic stuff paint and such.

While I was ordering all those other parts I also ordered a folding kickstart lever and I installed that. The first question I have is this, when I kicked the kickstart it gets called on the brake lever is that normal? Or did the previous owner move the brake lever out for some reason?

The other thing is that my indicators are no longer functioning. I don't think it is the switch because everything looked good in there, is there a fuse that controls the indicators? if so how many amps are we looking at because the PO spliced in wedge fuses and its all a great big mess that I need to redo? purely for organizational reasons.
    Rusty

1996 Honda VFR 750
    1979 XS1100SF

It shouldn't get caught on the brake pedal, but I believe the footrest may stop it from going full revolution with the folding one. If you still have the original, you'll notice that it goes way wide to clear the footrest.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

OK good to know, I never had the original one I guess I'll just heat this one up and bend it to clear then because I bet that might be what it is.
      Rusty

1996 Honda VFR 750
      1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Also, I just saw your post regarding turn signals. Yes, they have their own fuse. Don't quote me on this, but I believe 10a(?) It'll be brown wires. Send TC $10, and he'll send you a fuse box with six slots for mini-blade fuses, along with some flag-post terminal connectors. It'll clean that birdsnest
        right up!

But, you mention clutch side was damaged, which is obviously where the turn signal switching happens. It might be coincidence, who knows. As Ness on the GS site says, "to measure is to know". Start at fuse box and work out. Check all your grounds on the lights. Check your signal flasher, etc.
        Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 04-15-2014, 09:04 AM.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Had nasty rain up here in PA today and I had to work a stupid amount of hours today I might get a chance to take a look at it tomorrow. Can anyone post a picture of inside the head lamp because mine well that is a real bird nest. and getting that fuse box sounds like a good idea.
          Rusty

1996 Honda VFR 750
          1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Hey Rust,

Yeah, that "little spring storm" is messing things up nicely eh!

Okay, the Turn signals with OEM bulbs draw quite a few amps, so the fuse is actually a 20 amp! And the fuseblock I provide does not use MINI-fuses, but regular sized ATCO style solid fuses. You can see it by going to the For Sale Forum, Parts section, Parts/services by members STICKY thread, then post #10 for photos, pricing, payment info..I have in stock ready for shipping!

As to the headlight bucket photo....Mine is actually apart now but is a bit of a mess since I'm rewiring it for a new aftermarket analog tach/dig speedo gauge cluster.

Go to the Member's List in the blue tool bar on this page, then find Catatonic Bug's Profile, view it, follow the link to his webpage, and then download service manuals for your machine which also has wiring diagrams that you can use to troubleshoot things.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cool thanks for the info I had that book marked before but I lost it. regardless I played with the glass fuse and I took apart the switch played with some wires put it all back together and low and behold it works. I do need to clean it though because it is hard to cancel the indicators but that has always been the case I feel. now I need to rewire the birds nest in my headlight but it works for now so I'll take care of that later. Thanks guys. and I'll probably be ordering that fuse thing in the very near future.
              Rusty

1996 Honda VFR 750
              1979 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
              X