Electronic ignition conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic ignition conversion

I saw this posted on the Yamaha XS1100 Classic Facebook group.

I would welcome a discussion. Its horribly expensive. I don't think it would be worth it but could be wrong.

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shop...a-xs1100-.html

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

I want to say this has been discussed in passing before.

Don't remember details though.

Other question is, Is that a replacement for the TCI?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Look like about $440 US. Shipping? It does appear to be a replacement for the TCI with 9 selectable curves.

A link to more info.

http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/ZDG3...en_h/index.htm
      "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Hud

Comment

What about vacuum advance? Would that unit still utilize it?
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

No. No Vacuum advance needed.
          "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Hud

Comment

A solution looking for a problem....

If you have a heavily modified motor (race only, turbo, supercharger, etc) this would have some purpose. But for a stock street bike, an expensive 'fix' for something that works.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

But what happens when you can't find a replacement tci? Most of the eBay nut jobs are asking $250-$500 for just a tci.

Just playing devils advocate here.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                But what happens when you can't find a replacement tci? Most of the eBay nut jobs are asking $250-$500 for just a tci.

It might make a good option in some cases, and a better option as parts become scarce. It's a great option for points bikes too. Good point, Nate. It's probably not money well spent to replace a functioning ignition system.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

The '76/77 XS750 came with points & condensers. Upgrading the system to a later model ignition system was the cure-all for that. The early GS bikes upgrade was the Dyna-S ignition system.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I can fix a broken stock system a LOT of times for $450. GEEZE, I got 6 parts bikes and 3 parts engines for less than that.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                      I can fix a broken stock system a LOT of times for $450. GEEZE, I got 6 parts bikes and 3 parts engines for less than that.
                      The XS1100 is not a good example of a bike needing the fix. We can talk when you get into the XS650 biz.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        The XS1100 is not a good example of a bike needing the fix. We can talk when you get into the XS650 biz.
                        There won't be any 650s left soon, sadly, as fast as the hacks are chopping them up.
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post

Just playing devils nemisis here.
                          If you have a dead TCI, send it, and a money order for $125 to $250, to me, and I will send you back a functioning TCI.

'78 to '80 only.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            There won't be any 650s left soon, sadly, as fast as the hacks are chopping them up.
                            They go like hot cakes on craigslist if they are original because everyone and their mama wants one to hack to pieces and leave unfinished. The only ones you can find are completely stripped apart because some Junior in high school got in over his head.
                            78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                            79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Yeah, they like them, not because they are powerful because they really aren't, but because they use that Brit 2 cylinder engine and they have that "cool" BSA sound. sorta like Harley riders. Ya gotta look and sound "cool".
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X