Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another question...hope I'm not overdoing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question...hope I'm not overdoing them?

Hey Folks

I have another question.....

On my new project, it ran on three cylinders and roughly on the fourth. I've stripped the carbs and cleaned everything etc. Also removed a load of unimportant bits for when it comes to powder coating the frame.

My question is... Having got the carbs off, airbox, stripped etc, would YOU put it all back together and check that the engine runs on four cylinders properly or would you just proceed with stripping everything else, getting the powder coating done etc?? It kind of makes sense both ways and I'm wonders what everyone else would do..... Mechanically, the engine seems fine, with all valves moving, compression etc etc. Is it worth putting the carbs, tank etc etc all back on, just to feel reassured, or would it be better to crack on and continue stripping the bike??? Dilemma
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Would you rather take parts on and off a dirty old bike, or a shiny new one? Ordinarily I would recommend having all of the important bits working before messing with anything cosmetic. In your case, since I know you'll leave nothing untouched, it doesn't really matter, does it?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

If it were me, I'd keep the pieces off that I already removed, and get the painting started. You may need to tweak a few things to get it running properly, but backtracking your progress would slow down the process of getting her on the road.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

I always have faith that things will work-out if I do everything right. So, unless you have a break in the harness that prevents a cylinder from running, odds are it was carb-related. Break it down and don't look back.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by iandmacdonald View Post
          i always have faith that things will work-out if i do everything right. So, unless you have a break in the harness that prevents a cylinder from running, odds are it was carb-related. Break it down and don't look back.

^^^ x 2 ^^^
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

You guys have that backwards. Exhaust electrical possibilities before messing with the carburetors.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Oh, I meant directly in-reference to Jame's situation. All four of his pipes were running, yet he found a dirty pilot jet. However, on a good-running bike that all of a sudden has issues with a cylinder dropping, I'd still drop the carbs first before anything and just have that out of the way. Then I'd go right into electrical testing. (Btw, it takes me five minutes to pull my carbs).
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                You guys have that backwards. Exhaust electrical possibilities before messing with the carburetors.
                Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                I always have faith that things will work-out if I do everything right. So, unless you have a break in the harness that prevents a cylinder from running, odds are it was carb-related. Break it down and don't look back.
                Isn't that the order that Ian stated, Marty ?

Comment

No, Marty was referring to an overall diagnosis of an ill-running bike: Electrical before carbs, which I agree with. But, again my opinion was directly related to James's specific situation.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                    No, Marty was referring to an overall diagnosis of an ill-running bike: Electrical before carbs, which I agree with. But, again my opinion was directly related to James's specific situation.
                    Sheeet, everybody knowzat . . . don't they ?

Comment

Thanks, chaps. Yes, I reckon I'll tear it down and get the frame and swing arm done and just crack on. The bike ran, albeit mainly on three cylinders and the blocked jet was in the carb of the rough running cylinder. I was able to establish that the charging system and all electrically are working, with the headlamp brightening as revs increased.

I've cleaned the carbs thoroughly but am waiting for Allen bolts to replace all the cross head screws and have ordered another zinc-plating kit to do the brackets, choke rod and claws, choke lever etc. Those parts are now stripped of rust and what was left of the original plating and are awaiting treatment. The diaphragms are absolutely fine. I'm going to soak all the brass bits again in vinegar since Pine-Sol is not available here. I used a chemical aluminium cleaner on the outside carb bodies and they look better now

Last edited by James England; 04-03-2014, 04:30 PM.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hi James,
                        Carry on. I see you also use a towel for carb work. Excellent idea.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          Hi James,
                          Carry on. I see you also use a towel for carb work. Excellent idea.
                          Phil
                          yes! It soaks up the carb cleaner etc and is grippy for those fiddly parts that could roll off a table. I've always done them on the floor too!!

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                            yes! It soaks up the carb cleaner etc and is grippy for those fiddly parts that could roll off a table. I've always done them on the floor too!!
                            Hi James,
                            While they can not fall any further when on the floor the little bastards can still run and hide
                            Phil
                            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                            X