Update and request for advice, XSives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update and request for advice, XSives

My new project is progressing apace. I got the engine running tonight after removing very old gas that smelt really weird. The bike ran properly on 3 cylinders and badly on one cylinder (#2). The headers were hot but three were hotter than the other and it felt like a triple mostly. Compression on all four. Good sparks all round...well, as good as they get on OEM coils with ballast resistor.

I've removed loads of bits off the bike and stripped the carbs tonight. Yep, I lost a choke rod detent spring and ball, Steve. Despite trying not to.... Hence asking if you could sell me one in another thread.

My question is this... Although I used Georgefix kits last time, with great success, many people responded saying that it's better to use the original jets. The ones I've removed are covered in greenish crud. One of the pilot jets was blocked, so I think that was the cause of the rough running. So, does anyone have any tips on how to remove the crud that's on the jets, the floats and so on? I have hydrochloride acid and sulphuric acid available but am reticent to try them! How do people get the grunge off when re-using the OEM jets??
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

I use a product sold mainly to clean silverware and copper pots and pans called TARNEX sold in most stores like Walmart. I let them soak a little and use a brush or soft rag to rub the tuff areas depending on how delicate it is
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRon View Post
      I use a product sold mainly to clean silverware and copper pots and pans called TARNEX sold in most stores like Walmart. I let them soak a little and use a brush or soft rag to rub the tuff areas depending on how delicate it is
      I'm not sure that's available here. What is the active ingredient, do you know?? We have a dipping solution specifically for silver.....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Vinegar and a plastic or a nylon brush will take that green off and help soften the crud inside.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hi James, I use a dremel, on a proper speed, with brass wire brushes to remove all oxidation on allthe brass parts.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Not sure if itbis sold in stores nearbyou James. I use Berrymans carb dip. Or Pinesol, up to a 50/50 mix.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Not sure if itbis sold in stores nearbyou James. I use Berrymans carb dip. Or Pinesol, up to a 50/50 mix.
              Original pinesol only, not the lemon scented. It is a different formula and doesn't work the same.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I also favor Berryman's carburetor cleaner.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

I can't remember if Berryman's was sold in GB or not. On the Triples forum there was a discussion regarding the formula being changed due to EPA rules. Old heads reported how well Berryman's used to work versus the stuff now. But, for anyone out there, buy it from Walmart. Much cheaper than anywhere else, guaranteed!
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Soak all the brass pieces in straight Pine-Sol, the original, not a copy. Interesting what 'science project' you'll find inside the chamber of pilot jets using a magnifying glass. Leaving them in overnight, occassionally stirring things around a bit, rinse with really hot water and blow all pieces out with air hose. Toothpick all the little air-bleed holes on sides, airhose them out and re-check with magnifying glass under good light. No reason to replace any jets, as they'll clean up with a little persistance.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X