Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the big leagues now!

Greetings everyone!

I am the proud owner of a 1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard, in Diamond Silver... or at least it was at one point...

I graduated from a FREE 1981 XS650 Special:

To a FREE 1980 XS1100:

77K miles, been well maintained. Used to have the ugliest damn fairing on it which I removed. Fortunately, I have a XJ550 Maxim in the garage that didn't need it's headlight (with H4 bulb) or turn signals. So that's what is on the front for now.

I don't have huge plans for it, I just want something that hauls ass, looks cool, is comfy, and is reliable. So far, its more comfy than the 650, but that's largely due to the fact that it doesn't shake like a small dog.

I need to get it all cleaned up, but it runs fantastic, and the only thing that doesn't work so far is the fuel gauge.

Plans include: Fix fuel gauge and tach, install better handle bars (and mount handlebar turn signals), move the highway bars forward, re-do seat to mimic the older Standard seat (flat!) maybe stuff a windshield on it, 4 into 1 header, and a fatter tire up front.

Other than that, I plan to ride the crap out of it!

Rode it in to work today, was a bit on the chill side, but not as bad as a couple weeks ago.

Updates will come as they often do!

~Revanoff2~
    1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard Diamond Silver
    77k miles and going strong! Best free bike ever!

1962 Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp mini-bike!

Previous Hogs:
    1972 Honda SL350 K2 325cc
    1971 Kawasaki 350cc Bighorn 2 Stroke
    1981 Yamahahaha XS650 Special
    1981 Yamahahaha XJ550 Maxim

Congratulations on the new project. Good to hear it runs well.
    79 SF

IG "9mmHeater"

Comment

Congratulations! Looks to be an excellent bike. Love the price. You will find a lot to love about this bike.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Another member from Salem, OR

Hi Robert,

Welcome, it's good to see someone on here from Salem besides myself. I also have an 80G (not running), it has a regular seat that I would trade you for the one on your bike, if your interested. I have quite a few parts also, if you're looking for anything, just ask.

You said your tach was not working, have you checked your charging system? They get their signal from the generator and it my not be working.

Ride safe,
        Larry
        Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
        82 XJ1100
        80 XS1100G (Project bike)
        64 Yamaha YA-6
        77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
        See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Free bike!

Welcome to the site, Robert!

As Mark said, you will love your Eleven ... and you paid how much? Oh, that's right, it was FREE!! Awesome ...

Anyway, the collective knowledge of the people here is amazing ... any help you need with your bike can be found right here.

Enjoy!
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

You've come to the right place now you own one of these immortal bikes. Friendly advice, lots of knowledge, respect and a lot of fun. Bienvenue!
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Very nice looking bike. Glad she is running nicely for you. As for the tach, behind the fuse box there is a connector with three large white wires from the alternator. Clean those and check that connector is not melted. You will need to unbolt the metal plate the fuse box is mouted to.

while your at it I would spend a nice rainy afternoon and clean every electrical connector on the bike. It will save you alot of headaches chasing electrical gremlins down the road.

sounds like you have a plan for the beast. Good luck!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Hey Don- Hypothethically the connector coming from the alternator has the side that was obviously melted, but still checks out. After sealing it with dialectric grease, is there any harm in leaving it be? (Not a hypothetical really, but I avoid shame if I say that )
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hey Ian,

The melting means too much resistance so it got hot...duh. I would have taken some Deoxit and really cleaned the contacts thoroughly first to ensure as low a resistance to current flow there as possible, and THEN apply the dielectric grease. The grease just keeps the moisture/corrosion out, but doesn't clean the connection.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

No shame in avoiding cost. However, depending how melted it is, you may want to add some electrical tape to the bandage.

As TC stated, definitely clean the connections first.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

One big problem when that connector gets hot enough to melt the plastic is it can also take the 'spring' out of the metal connectors, so they no longer fit as tight. Reading through it with an ohmmeter won't tell you that, only under load will the problem show up. Cleaning is only half the problem...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        One big problem when that connector gets hot enough to melt the plastic is it can also take the 'spring' out of the metal connectors, so they no longer fit as tight. Reading through it with an ohmmeter won't tell you that, only under load will the problem show up. Cleaning is only half the problem...
                        Hey Steve,

Couldn't he take a crimper and "tweak" the female clamping pieces a little tighter together so that it could regain it's SPRING/Tension to make stronger/tigher connection? OR are you saying that the overheating changed the molecular/grain structure of the metal to the point that it will have NO spring tension.....like a stretched sprung spring?

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Usually it kills the 'temper' that was originally in the metal, basically annealing it. My personal rule of thumb is if the plastic is melted enough that it's hard/impossible to remove the wire connectors from the plastic part without breaking something, it all needs to be replaced.

Sometimes you can 'tweak' them tighter, but if you have to 'rock' the connector to get it fully engaged they generally just open back up.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I have worked on my gas gauge many times and it works and then doesn't. I have taken gas float wiper apart and fixed broken wire and cleaned contacts but still can not get it "fixed". It ohms from about 18 to 85 when in my hand.
                            I think that it gets a 7 volt power source from a small black box inside of the tach. But, I haven't hooked a volt meter to the wires while riding.
                            I keep thinking that the bouncing of the bike that makes the tack jump is also a possible cause of the gauge not constantly working.....
                            79 XS11

Comment

Well,

So far, all I've done is clean it up a bit (much shinier now, more to do though), and snap the speedo cable. There's another one in the mail to deliver this week so I can have at least A working gauge lol.

I haven't had much time to actually get in there and look at what is up with the fuel gauge and tach. I can say that the fuel gauge does "operate" to some degree, it just reads WAY off.

When I have to hit the "reserve" switches on the tank, the gauge says about 3/4 full. when I fill it, the needle sweeps off the visible part of the gauge. I'm thinking a dirty connector is most of the issue with it.

I have swapped the original bars off now. I stole a set off the XJ550 at my house. The issue I have now is cables that are way too long (Clutch, Throttle). So if I turn the handlebars to the right, the engine revs a bit.

I am going to modify the brackets for the Samsonite hard cases that were on it to fit a set of leather-wrapped hard bags off Harley Roadking that a buddy is giving me. Those should look damn sweet once mounted.

Other than that, she's been running great, and I've been riding every day that I can. Went through a whole tank of gas in less than 24 hours so far!

~Revanoff2~
                              1980 3H5 XS1100G Standard Diamond Silver
                              77k miles and going strong! Best free bike ever!

1962 Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp mini-bike!

Previous Hogs:
                              1972 Honda SL350 K2 325cc
                              1971 Kawasaki 350cc Bighorn 2 Stroke
                              1981 Yamahahaha XS650 Special
                              1981 Yamahahaha XJ550 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                              X