Fuel Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there John,

Yeah, you've got a big break in with new bearings and such, so it's going to take some time before the rings seat and things spin more freely as well as getting even better compression with the seated rings!! But, I still only get around 30-33mpg, price to pay for performance!? I'm willing to pay it!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

John, I've got an 80 xs 11 special myself and I get usually about 32 mpg.
      Mitch sorry to hear about gas prices being at $4.50 per gallon OUCH!. We just broke the $2.00 mark here in horton.

Kevin
      "Watchout for the guy behind the guy in front of you"

1980 XS 1100 SG

Comment

$2.12 for low grade in So. Utah. $2.25 for high grade.

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

on my last tip to houston i got 34mpg at about 80mph(to keep from getting run over) right now low grade is $1.85-$1.89 a gallon here... dont get to ride much now cause need to tune carbs after rebuild but with closing on first house today.. the last few weeks have been too busy to touch it... what stinks is ... NO Garage..... only a 8x10 storage building..
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Over a $1.00 a litre for good gas and $0.93 or so a litre for cheap stuff here as well. I filled up on my way to work this morning cost me $16!
            I'd love to pay $6.50 again.
            1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

On my 79 Special I usually get from 32 mpg (flogging in the city) to 38 mpg (on the open road). I have gotten 40 mpg before but haven't seen that in awhile.
              Robert
              79 SF

Comment

78 xs11e standard

If I get 26 I'm happy as a kid in a candy store. But I do tend to twist the grip a little hard I'm told. 49,500 and still going strong.
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

I get 35-38 with normal riding under 65mph with my "F". I have gotten 41, but it is rare. Seems to get the best mileage when it is hot and my speed is under 65.

FYI: on a standard , range (before reserve) can be extended by joining both petcocks with a "T". The Special is already setup this way.

Fuel tends to not feed out of both halfs of the tank equally. One side or the other will run out, requiring switching to reserve to get all carbs working. Intalling a "T", has the side effect of providing two reserves. I often run one side all the way down (when gas stations are plenty) before switching to the other. One time I went 172 miles before switching to the last reserve. typically I get 145 to 160 miles before reserve (avoiding the slab).
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

my 79sf fuel not bad

On my 79sf ( 34000 miles) Mix of intown and twisty hyway average 33 mpg. had tank painted 4.25 gal to fill. took it on a trip to Sioux City (75 miles) and ran out of gas, on res, pulling into gas station. I expected to get at least 100 miles out of that tank but averaging around 115-120 mph for that trip it doesn't suprise me. If I keep the throttle down to around 60-65 mph I'll average around 42-45 mpg Hard to keep the throttle down though. I also noticed that running cheap fuel gave me less mpg and performance I never run ethenal. Only the highest octane that I can find. Fuel additives were a waste of money in my case.
                    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                    1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I'm getting 38mpg on my special. Am planning on installing a auxilliary tank in my trunk. Wanted to use a 3 gal spun aluminum tank that is sold for dune buggies but the guy who makes them is no longer and I can't find them anywhere. I'm looking at go kart aluminum tanks but the largest I've found is 1 3/4 gal. That would push my range around to 200 miles and still leave some room in the trunk. I'll post a pic when I'm done.
                      Bruce Heckert
                      1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
                      1988 Honda GL 1500
                      2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
                      1981 Honda CM200T
                      2012 Honda CBR250-sold
                      2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

auxillary fuel tank

One thing that you might try is mabee a mini beer keg. Their pretty strong and look cool. Of course it would take a little fabrication to adapt it over.
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I get around 28 mpg, which I thought was abyssmal. After looking around, maybe not. I pack a little weight even w/o company and with no one on board to terrify... That "mystery zone" above 85 sure is familier(sp?) I'd love to swap for the 160mph speedo.
                          Tim
                          1981 LH

Comment

Re: Ha HA

Originally posted by mitch
                            6.50 jeez what is that 10.00 bucks or less canadian , John our gas went to 1.00 per liter here thats 4.50 per gallon , 10.00 bucks per fill up i wish 15.00 up here,..........................MITCH
                            Please tell me that's at least imperial gallons
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Gallon

A gallon in canada is 4.54 liters in the usa it is 3.8 liters Hope that answers your question or $3.80 per gallon in canadian dollars for an american gallon minus 30percent exchange =$2.75 american not that bad when u do the math lol .................MITCH
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

JUST GOT TO SAY .OVER HERE IN ENGLAND (DONT KNOW ,AVERAGE WAGE COSTS ETC IN USA SO CANT COMPARE TOO MUCH) OVER HERE WE PAY ABOUT $7.00 PER GALLON OF FUEL MAN AM I GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YOU LOT ARE MOANIN AND GROANIN ,FAIR PLAY TO YOU,I LOVE MY XS SO MUCH ILL PAY THE EARTH TO RIDE IT THO NO QUESTION OF THAT!!!!ABOUT 79P - 84P A LITRE OUR MONEY IF YOU WANT TO WORK IT OUT PROPERLY THATS A HUNDRED P IN A POUND WHICH £1 IS $1.71 APPROX
                                Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

Working...
                                X