Fuel Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Economy

What is the average MPG to be expected from an 82 XJ? I can only seem to get 100-125 miles on a fill up. I know this cant be right. I think my car gets better than that. Also, what can cause excess fuel consumption? It isnt leaking out anywhere, isnt in the crankcase, and I dont believe that it is running too rich, might be though. I purchased some Yamaha 20w 40 from the dealer and found out that it has non-friction modifiers in it. Dumb butt at the desk recommended it. Wondered why my clutch never quit slipping after changing from car oil. Starter clutch works fine. Need to get 1st fixed so I can enjoy my bike.

mileage

riding style? tune of bike,condition of engine.I recently rejetted, on main tank i get up to135miles before i hit reserve.Used to be 118 max.And i went up in jet size so go figure.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I get about 32MPG on my XJ, (full Vetter fairing and hard bags) but live at an elevation of 5,400 ft and have not rejetted since my move from Wiscosin, so know I am running rich. Most of these miles are at freeway speeds, 75 - 80 mph.

Got upper 30s in the mid-west. Putting the Vetter on cut fuel economy by 3 - 4 mpg. Riding habits can make a big difference; I got into the low 40s, Vetter and all, at the Missouri rally a few years back by riding in the 40 - 60 mph range and staying off the gas. 30-32 mpg isn't great, but isn't all that unusual, either. Just be glad you don't have a Special with their 75 mile cruising range....(ducking and running)
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hey, I can usually get 100-105 miles before I need to gas up. (Swinging blindly)

Comment

Hey I'm not coming at you swinging or anything I just curious, about the special's cruising range. I am pretty new to the XS seen and by chance I purchased a special. Why does the special have a shorter cruising range? Is it becuase the specials have a ton more power, or is it becasue all the riders who own specials ride at full thottle or nothing! he he But seriously why do specials have a shorter range?

Comment

We have much smaller tanks. It's a size issue...and they size isn't important. I usually get 33 MPG on the freeway. 65-75 MPH.

Comment

Yamaha used several tanks on various versions of the XS/XJ. The Venturer, (not the Venture, that is a different bike) an '81 standard full-dressed XS11 built for tourning, had a 6.3 gallon tank. The XJ has a 5 gallon tank. Special tanks are just over 3 gallons (I think), standards 5.8 gallons. Anytime there is a group ride it is the range of the Specials that determines how long any given loop between gas stations will be. A stop is scheduled every 75 miles or so just to be on the safe side, though they can go a bit more than that.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

milage

I usually get between 32-35 mpg on my 80 SPECIAL. and it is full dress ,trunk, fairing,hard side bags and i wieght 250 lbs. i think that is pretty good.tank size is 3.9 gallons so i range 95-105 miles per tank.a lot of things will affect mpg.state of tune,condition of engine.tire psi and weight of course.wind,how hard are you on the throttle? just stinks our bikes have such small tanks. would like to modify xj tank to fit xs.

when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Is it hard to retrofit an XJ or similar type tank to get the longer range?

Comment

Yea that sounds about right. I have been averaging about 38-40 mpg with my 81sh. But that is driving "nicely" and not rolling on the throttle too hard.
                    If I remember right ...I could go about 130 miles before hitting reserve.
                    If I get abusive (having fun) My mileage drops outa sight. But the miles go by sooo much faster!!
                    I think I read somewhere that the specials have a 4.2? gallon tank.
                    Hmm... gonna hafta check that out.....
                    SPEED SLOW!!!
                    '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

My Mongrel got a little better than 30 MPG on the one trip I took to the coast. I'm looking forward to putting a standard tank on it before the next long trip.

I miss the 45 MPG and 6.5 gallon tank of my old Guzzi T3 but it couldn't touch the XS11 for power and comfort.

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

79 special.

last year i got upper 30s. even got lower 40s on occasion.

this year for whatever reason i have been getting between 31 & 34 VERY consistently.... seems to make little to no difference on my driving habits.

one day i had about a 25 mph wind to my back, cruising 60-65. got 31 mpg.

next week i was on interstate running between 75 & 90 mph with a strong side wind. got 34.

bike seems to run perfectly. not sure if i have a problem or what is going on. other than oil i haven't changed anything.

Comment

Around 30mpg. Elevation changes are between 5500 and 9500 feet.

I think I have noticed a mileage improvement after I swapped out a faulty ignition module....

Ben
                          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I only get about 30 mpg now with the big bore kit installed. Fuel light came on at 88 miles the first time I needed fuel after completeing the rebuild. I'm hoping the milage will increase after the break in period. This $6-$6.50 per fill up is killing me.

Comment

Ha HA

6.50 jeez what is that 10.00 bucks or less canadian , John our gas went to 1.00 per liter here thats 4.50 per gallon , 10.00 bucks per fill up i wish 15.00 up here,..........................MITCH
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                              X