What side does the engine come out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What side does the engine come out?

Could someone please remind me of what side the engine comes out of the frame on an XS1100? I seem to remember that the bike can be laid on its left side and the frame lifted off the engine? Am I correct?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Originally posted by James England View Post
    Could someone please remind me of what side the engine comes out of the frame on an XS1100? I seem to remember that the bike can be laid on its left side and the frame lifted off the engine? Am I correct?
    Hi James,
    I have seen posts saying it will come out with less difficulty if laid on one side rather than t'other
    even if I can't remember which side it was but that engine is kinda heavy for one person to move either way.
    Let me suggest using lifting straps and four burly friends who will work for beer.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes,I did lift one myself once but it didn't matter re the frame as the bike was only fit to be broken for spares. Getting it out won't be the problem really. It's more when getting the engine back into a newly powder-coated frame that is the concern. If only I had some friends, burly or otherwise!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If you remove the middle drive, it will come out/go in either side, much easier than with the drive in place, JMHO
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

As Fred says, stripped down to frame and engine, lie it on its side on sponge/foam and lift the frame off the engine. And either side is easy when doing it this way, but easier without middle drive off, though I always do them with it on (too lazy to remove it). The last one I did on my own when re-assembling, lowering the newly painted frame over the engine without chipping the new paint.

Oh, and oil filter off too!
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Lift and twist to the right and it'll slide right out the right side. With or without the middle drive.

I found it's easier if the oil pan and oil pump are off.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If you're talking about a stripped bare frame with just the motor left in it, I've laid the motor/frame over on the clutch side (with some blocks to hold the motor level and an old blanket between it and the floor) and lifted the frame up/off the motor. Removing either the cams cover or the oil filter will give adequate clearance. Reverse to reinstall.

This is definitely a two-man job for me (as I have a bad back), but someone without that limitation could probably do this unassisted, although having two people will make it easier as the frame is a rather clumsy piece.

Install the centerstand next, tip the assembly back upright, tip the frame forward and extend the stand, then tip the frame up at the front and put a stand under the front lower frame crosstube. It's now high enough to install everything else... Having someone to open the stand and set the jack will be a big help, but this could be anybody as no strength required. Result...

Getting the motor off the floor while it's out is another issue; I tip it upright, wrap a nylon sling around the cylinders, lift it with my engine cherrypicker, then install it on my engine stand.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Steve, with the sling bite on the back does the engine sit straight?

I thought about making a sling to hold the engine to install into an upright bike by sliding sideways like you're lowering the frame over the engine, that way you could do it to a complete bike.
                Tom
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  If you're talking about a stripped bare frame with just the motor left in it, I've laid the motor/frame over on the clutch side (with some blocks to hold the motor level and an old blanket between it and the floor) and lifted the frame up/off the motor. Removing either the cams cover or the oil filter will give adequate clearance. Reverse to reinstall.

This is definitely a two-man job for me (as I have a bad back), but someone without that limitation could probably do this unassisted, although having two people will make it easier as the frame is a rather clumsy piece.

Install the centerstand next, tip the assembly back upright, tip the frame forward and extend the stand, then tip the frame up at the front and put a stand under the front lower frame crosstube. It's now high enough to install everything else... Having someone to open the stand and set the jack will be a big help, but this could be anybody as no strength required. Result...

Getting the motor off the floor while it's out is another issue; I tip it upright, wrap a nylon sling around the cylinders, lift it with my engine cherrypicker, then install it on my engine stand.

That looks nice!

Comment

Tom, it's not perfectly level but it's not far off. With my back, I've had to be 'creative' to work large heavy bits....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I was thinking of bolting/clamping a 6' length of bar to the back of the engine, with engine sat next to the bike on a table with one end of the bar sat through the frame, using a chain block slung to each end of the 6' bar the engine could be lifted, the table moved and the bike slid sideways over the engine.

At least that way an engine can be lifted out of a complete bike.

It may just be a hare-brained idea
                      Tom

Comment

And yep, feelin the back thing, only with me its my hip. Old age sucks
                        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                          I was thinking of bolting/clamping a 6' length of bar to the back of the engine, with engine sat next to the bike on a table with one end of the bar sat through the frame, using a chain block slung to each end of the 6' bar the engine could be lifted, the table moved and the bike slid sideways over the engine.

At least that way an engine can be lifted out of a complete bike.

It may just be a hare-brained idea
                          If you do these things enough, having the 'tools' makes a big difference... That engine stand makes working on the motors much easier...

And the 'bite' is actually a bit too far back, as the motor wants to tip forward just a bit. If you put some 'arms' facing forward on your cross bar, you could adjust the level...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

removal

I've always taken mine out and reinstalled from the right side. oil filter housing removed prior and usually I have the head off to to make room and lighten the load as my back isn't very good either. Carbs I do from the right side as well.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

I just did an R&R on Ed's bike. I pulled and installed from the left side. I took off the oil filter, carbs, airbox,and take the ballast resistor off is all I needed for room. We DID pull the shocks loose, and removed the pivot bolts from the swing arm, as that helps with the U-joint assembly.
                              Oh, I'll have to get a picture of my engine stand up. I bolt only to the lower case, so I can split the cases on the stand.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X