Brighter Running Lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighter Running Lights.

Okay, my apologies for being a complete lazy butt. I have done absolutely no research for this thread. No use of the search button, etc. So, driving down the road, in-back of me going under a bridge is a Chevy Uplander van, with no headlights on. But, what they do have on is their fog lamps, the yellow ones in the bumper. Those things are bright!!!

So, it got me to thinking, what would it take to duplicate those lights on our bike? All four of my blinkers are running lights. Not sure if it's a dual-filament bulb, etc.

Brighter bulb?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Hey Ian,

The automotive fog lights are often H-3 Halogen style bulbs, so they are quite a bit brighter than the 1157/1156 style bulbs used in parking/running lights. Your diffuser on the turn signals would also spread/degrade the distance and penetration of the light even IF you could put an H-3 bulb in there!

SO....instead you would want/need to mount additional AUX light fixtures onto the bike..front forks somewhere...and add these lights with switched/relay control and power separate from the running lights in the turn signals.

I've found HID type fog lights on eBay that are sealed, projector style and have mounting "U" brackets, they could provide you with both higher visibility to other vehicles, as well as more light down the road for you to see as well.

I've seen these "inexpensive" ie. $25.00 or so LED type light bars at my local Walmart...from Optronics....they don't state how bright they are, so I wouldn't expect them to provide much seeing the road type brightness, but they may provide BEING SEEN type light similar to DRL's...and they also are in mounting assemblies, and draw very little amps being LEDS, vs. their HIGH POWER and HIGH$$ version LED's with 900+ Lumens rated light fixtures....see their website if interested.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Interesting TC. I guess I'm not really looking to modify the bike by adding additional stuff, it takes away from the look of the bike. Thank you for the research.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Ian to follow on from TC. I mounted driving lights on my crash bars.
        19.99 the pair 55w H3 bulbs. huge amount of light down the road.
        Also mounted Volt meter. 20 minutes down the road voltage was below 12v at 4000rpm
        I now have 35watt bulbs and the charging system seems able to keep up.
        Extra lights add not only down the road for you to see but are a huge advantage in being SEEN.
        Some excellent LED light bars are avai;able which deliver fantastic light from a small package but cost a lot more.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey Phil- Yeah, I'm trying to find a way to maintain the stock look, but add some sight to the bike. I'm debating on some rectangular amber running lamps, and finding a spot to mount them.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

I see you have the truck lite head light. I understand it improves your seeing and being seen. How do you find them?
            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
            650SF
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
            XS1100SG Project bike
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

I'd compare it to an HID.
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                I'd compare it to an HID.
                Not much of a sales pitch. You don't sound all that impressed.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

For almost $200, I'll tell anybody to irk Crazy Steve and put an HID bulb in your bucket. However, the light is what you see, not a halo or anything else. It's a weird looking headlight. Also, I was surprised the brights are the bottom half of the light, instead of the top. "The Rev" did the Crazy Steve headlight mod for me to use the headlight. I owe him much gratitude for doing that for me.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                  X