Cardinal Red Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinal Red Paint

I'm trying to research the color of my 81 XS1100SH. After striping the paint on the tank and side panels, I found that the original color was red. This model year came in a blue-black or cardinal red color.

Does anyone know where I can get this color which is true to the original bike? Although there are plenty of Cardinal Reds out there, they may not match the original.

Any help and /or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    1981 XS11000SH being used for parts (Sold off)

Also have:
    2009 Harley Davidson FLSTC with over 120K miles. All mine.

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Engine Paint

I'm trying to restore the engine as best I can and want to repaint the case and cylinders. Can someone tell me what the best paint is for this task? I would like to match the original as close as possible.

The engine is silver/aluminum with black cylinders and valve cover.

I have looked through the forums and found different colors that were used but found it a bit confusing. I'm looking for a rattle can solution but I could also use my paint sprayer.

Also have:

Currently traveling the country with an aluminum can in tow and a motorcycle in the truck bed in search of the perfect road.

Comment

Hi Rich, not sure about the Cardinal Red but I'm subscribed 'cause my SF will need repainted someday.

I used Dupli-color 500* engine enamel with ceramic - DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum for my '80Gs block and IMHO a great match.

Here's a pic:

I used the same paint in gloss black on my XJ 750 and it has held up well over the last three years.
      Last edited by Schming; 03-22-2014, 04:42 PM.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
        I used Dupli-color 500* engine enamel with ceramic - DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum for my '80Gs block and IMHO a great match.

I used the same paint in gloss black on my XJ 750 and it has held up well over the last three years.
        This looks great. I noticed you used the gloss black on the XJ. I think I need a flat for the black parts and I see they make an "Iron Engine" color that looks like a plain black flat.

Was a clear coat on top required? What do you use as a primer or is it even needed?

Also, how did you paint your frame?

Also have:

Comment

May or may not help

I found this on the web. I know that the 006G is the right code for New Yamaha Black. I am just presuming that 004H is the right code for the Cardinal Red.

Here is the link.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...lor-codes.aspx
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Check this site out as well

http://www.colorrite.com/
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
              I found this on the web. I know that the 006G is the right code for New Yamaha Black. I am just presuming that 004H is the right code for the Cardinal Red.

Here is the link.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...lor-codes.aspx
              I found the same chart with the code 004H CDR. I can't find any other reference to it anywhere. This is probably the right color, I just need to find someone that can make it.

Also have:

Comment

I went to this site and the colors shown only cover 1990 and later for Yamahas. If you enter Cardinal Red, it comes up with a Kaw and Triumph colors.

I sent them an email over two weeks about without receiving a response.

Also have:

Comment

I did find two other sites:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31104

http://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com...2/xs650-paint/

In the first one, they are discussing using duplicolor BFM0317 Electric Currant Red Mat or DSFM317 as a close match. I may check it out but I would still like to get a true match.

Also have:

Comment

Originally posted by RichV View Post
                    This looks great. I noticed you used the gloss black on the XJ. I think I need a flat for the black parts and I see they make an "Iron Engine" color that looks like a plain black flat.

Was a clear coat on top required? What do you use as a primer or is it even needed?

Also, how did you paint your frame?
                    Hi Rich, I didn't use any clear coat or primer on the engine, as there is too much heat for those.

I used the gloss black on my XJ 750 'cause the rest of the engine is Black Chrome, close enough for my DD/ parts getter.

On my '80G, I painstakenly degreased the engine, with Easy Off oven cleaner (blue can), and used a red scotchbrite pad and scrubbed the surface to get a bite for the new paint. In between the fins and the other tight areas I used a dremel tool with a similar scuffing bit.

Final clean before painting, with brake klean spray and an air compressor to blow it dry.

I didn't remove the engine but removed the front mount bolts and brackets.
                    Then loosening the rear mount bolt I jacked the engine up as high as it would go wrapped the frame in plastic and shot the engine.
                    After the engine dried I wrapped it in plastic and scuffed the frame with red scotchbrite and shot the frame with Rustoleum Professional primer and gloss black.

The Rustoleum Professional paint, when sprayed right, ends up with the same smooth hard finish as the original frame, only it takes a long time to cure.

My '80G wasn't weathered at all, but my SF is, and will require me to pull the engine and bead blast it to prepare for paint.
                    Also, the frame on my SF will get sand blasted before refinishing.

Oh, I have to admit a brain fart as my SF is Carmine Red. Code anyone?
                    Last edited by Schming; 03-23-2014, 10:37 PM.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                      Oh, I have to admit a brain fart as my SF is Carmine Red. Code anyone?
                      That link shows 00E9.
                      82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                      Website/Blog

Comment

Cardinal Red paint found

Well I found a site that sells paint matched to the Yamaha colors.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/colours.php

I don't know if they are good or bad but I do know they are more expensive than other suppliers. They're in the UK so it takes a week for the paint to arrive.

Anyway, they have Cardinal Red for the 1981 XS1100SH and they claim it's a direct match.

Does anyone know about these guys?
                        Last edited by RichV; 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM.

Also have:

Comment

I have a 1981 XS11 Cardinal red bike. In 1982 I painted a set of bags and trunk to match it. The local auto parts and paint store mixed the paint for me. Back in the day they had books of different manufactory’s paint chips. I carried in a side cover and started looking for a match; about an hour later I found one that was really close. It was a candy apple red for a F150 Ford truck. The paint called for a silver base coat under the red. Red paint has a lot of clear and does not cover well.

If you find the cardinal red, I would start with a silver base.

The Other Earl
                          80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                          and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

They don't call you Old Red for nothin' !
                            -Mike
                            _________
                            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

She was a bad back in her younger days, when she was just called Red.

The Other Earl
                              80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                              and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Working...
                              X