X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Aiming Screws: Standard Headlight

Top or bottom adjusts horizontal?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
    Top or bottom adjusts horizontal?
    Hi Ian,
    Top adjusts Horizontal: In adjusts to the left (clockwise)
    For standard square headlight.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks Phil!
      So, bottom is Vertical? Can I presume clockwise on top screw elevates the light?
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

If you don't have a fairing, the stock 'standard' has three adjustment screws on the headlight; horizontal left/right (top screw), fine vertical (middle screw) both located in the trim ring, and coarse vertical, located on the headlight shell bottom.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Okay, I feel like a blonde! I only know of two screws: top & bottom. Don't see a third. And, equally confused when you refer to horizontal as left & right. Isn't horizontal up & down? So, when I turn in the top screw, the headlight should go up?

Also, can't I just remove the headlight and loosen the bolts inside the bucket to get it close? And then fine-tune with the screws?

Ohhhhhhh . . . Unless the top and bottom screw changes vertical left and right, and you change the horizontal height with the bucket bolts?
          Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM.
          1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            Okay, I feel like a blonde! I only know of two screws: top & bottom. Don't see a third. And, equally confused when you refer to horizontal as left & right. Isn't horizontal up & down? So, when I turn in the top screw, the headlight should go up?

Also, can't I just remove the headlight and loosen the bolts inside the bucket to get it close? And then fine-tune with the screws?

Ohhhhhhh . . . Unless the top and bottom screw changes vertical left and right, and you change the horizontal height with the bucket bolts?
            Coarse vertical adjustment, turn #20 screw...

2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'll search for that screw when it warms-up. Thanks again Phil!
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

one of the screws in a trim ring has spring under it, that's your adjustment screw
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Both screws do, top and bottom.
                  1979 XS1100F

Comment

Hi Ian,
                    When you stand UP you are Vertical....when you lie down you are Horizontal.
                    The third screw is BELOW the headlight housing and tilts the whole headlight assembly up or down.
                    The bike needs to be level with a flat surface such as a wall or garage door to show the changes to the light pattern. You want the beam to be slightly to the right of centre to show the curb area so pedestrians and deer are visible.
                    final adjustment needs you sitting on the bike.
                    I can not find the post about how far from the wall you need to be and where the beam should fall.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                      ...I can not find the post about how far from the wall you need to be and where the beam should fall.
                      Phil
                      25' from the wall, put a horizontal line at the same height as the center of the headlight, then put another line 3" below it. On low beam, no part of the light pattern should be above the top line, the bottom of the 'V cutoff' should be slightly below the lower line....
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hello.
                        Can someone tell me what size bolt #26 is in regards to the diagram shown above? Thank you
                        2017 CRF 250 Rally
                        1979 XS 1100
                        1985 Porsche 944
                        1991 Alfa 164

Comment

Bolt #26 should be 6mm X 12mm long. Pitch is standard for the 6mm, I think it's 0.6mm, but I'm NOT positive. It's late, and I've had TWO beers tonight, not my normal one.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The pitch is 1.0 MM
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil!! The second beer always does me in...
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X