Tire removal tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire removal tips

Since the advent of mag wheels , I have always been hesitant to attempt to remove a tire. With local shops charging up to $30 to mount/dismount a tire, its time to attempt to do this job my self. Always did my own dirt bike tires. Breaking the bead is not a challenge, but getting that sucker off the rim with out damage is a concern. Willing to invest the $ is the proper tools. I dont think my collection of tire spoons is going to "rim friendly" for my cherished mags. Your thought gentleman?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

duct tape

Dont know if this will help.I'm a bodyman i put duct tape on my tools near contact point of tools so they won't scratch the paint or dent someones door. If your worried about marring the surface,just a thought.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Duct Tape

Duct tape has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together. Also known as racer tape, Red Green tape, Mexican solder and 200 mile an hour tape.
      Ken/Sooke

Comment

My rims were already dinged up, so I wasn't as concerned. Motion Pro and others make decent tools. I'm going to invest in PB Baumann tire tools. I put a recommendation under "links". It's www.pbbaumann.com if you are interested. I just mounted my tires last night, the first time I've ever done it. Where do I get appropriate wheel weights? I figure I'll use clay, then weigh it to see what weights I need. (?)
        2010 Kawasaki Z1000
        1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Re: Duct Tape

Originally posted by ratbyk
          Duct tape has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together. Also known as racer tape, Red Green tape, Mexican solder and 200 mile an hour tape.
          Ken/Sooke
          AKA Saskatchewan Chrome
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Do a search and find "Rim Protectors".

These are plastic sleeves that clip in the mag and let you use your tools without marring. They work great. Buy several.

Also, I often use old leather gloves as rim protectors.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
            X