Another excuse to Rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another excuse to Rant...

I just went out to the parking lot by my dorms. There are two parking spaces within 20 ft of the doors that everyone competes for. The rest are another 60 ft away. I parked my bike in one of these spaces (I'm allowed to take up a whole space because I paid full price for a parking permit) and when I came back to my room this evening I did a double take. There was a white sedan in my parking space! After a second look, I discovered that my bike had been moved out of the parking spot and onto the lawn in front of the space. It's just a very good thing that the soil here is volcanic in nature and behaves like pavement with a thin layer of grass over it...otherwise my 600 lb XJ would be lying on its side right now in the rain soaked soil!

That got me pretty hot and bothered...So I went to find the number for security to have the offender towed or at least ticketed. I asked our RA (Resident Advisor) for the number and he asked me "Why, what's wrong?" When I explained the situation to him, he said please don't call security, that's my friend's car. I explained to him that I expected the car to be out of the parking spot and my bike back in it undamaged and no worse for the wear. I also explained that any ticket received for parking on the lawn would be passed on to his friends as well as any bills for damages if I find in the daylight tomorrow that they did lay the bike down. He looked especially sheepish when I told him the thing weighed 600 lbs and in any other wet soil would be laying on its side by now.

I really wish I had asked someone else for the number and could have had the guy towed or ticketed! That would have made me a lot happier than just typing here has.

Why is this in XS11/XJ11 discussion?
    Simple: Does the XJ have a fork lock that prevents the handlebars from turning? Has anyone had experience with any other method of keeping people from tampering with their bike?

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Keep mine chained to a fence and under a MC-cover, but it would be nice having a garage.
    Gisle Vestergaard
    XS 1100 Sport

Comment

Update:

The guy still hasn't moved his car or my bike...I gave him over an hour. So I went off to find security. (The number I got is apparently Emergency only. They said call Parking in the morning) No Security guards anywhere they normally hang out...By that time some friends of mine pull up and asked what was up. They promptly walked over and discovered he didn't lock one of his doors. So we unlocked the driver's door, shifted it to neutral and backed it up enough that it looked like he was trying to force into the spot behind me. We completed the effect by moving my bike back where it started.

This strategy was only adopted when we realized 4 guys couldn't move his car onto the lawn without unlocking the steering wheel. (The original plan)

'82 XJ1100J-John
      '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Oh man, I can just imagine. I would be SOOOO hot. I hope you let him know just how unacceptable that was. The nerve of some people. Unfortunatly anyone so idiotic as to do that wont truely understand just how wrong they were. I guess your just gonna have to kick the crap out of him. LOL
        Chad

Comment

pissed off parking

I would have went and found his girlfriend and do her good. I'm sorry you DONT touch a mans scooter period.And i certainly would not want him touching it again. Just my rant i feel for ya man.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I usually call a guy with a 68 volkswagen van (porsche engine tho) and we tow the bastards.
            The last one had a new BMW 5 series, and I couldn't find anything to hook up a rope. So just as I fixed it on the fender (very plastic, even more breakable and the most expencive), the guy promptly moved the car. This was in front of my house, and I asked the guy nicely to park somewhere else. He didn't. But he changed his mind just in time.
            No messing with me when I'm having a BBQ hehe...
            Or a 68 VW van.

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

not sure if there is a fork lock on your bike...this is precisely why I always use mine.

Another option would be a brake disc lock if you have slotted or drilled rotors. It's basically a pad lock that blocks up against the caliper if the bike is rolled anywhere.
              Dan
              1980 XS11 Special

Comment

My bike lock works by rotating all the way left and turning the key past the off position when it hits the hole.

I'da got my jeep out locked it in 4 wheel low and dragged that bastard across the lot.
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100
                Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Disc locks come with alarm. Some of them. I'd reccommend xena.
                  You bump it, it howls.

LP
                  If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                  (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

xj steering lock

The steering lock on the XJ isn't in the ignition, it is on the left side near the triple tree, it has a rotating flat cover thingie, the ignition key fits it. Turn the bars all the way to the right. The key pushes the keyhole cylinder in, then rotate. You may have to wiggle the bars.
                    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

should have removed the valve cores from his tires for safe keeping
                      Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                      Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                      and SOXS
                      2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Working...
                      X