starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issue

I have a 80 XS 1100 special the problem I'm having I started up pull out the garage last night is Peyton sputtered and then died will not restart I have checked I have fuel I've changed out the coils but it seems like I still have no spark I change that the electric mission unit still no spark is it possible that I jumped the cam
    1980 xs1100 sg.

If you have no spark.....that might be a problem you should look into
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Anything is possible. Have you literally checked for spark? Grounded-out the spark plug to the head? If so, get out your voltmeter and check to see if you have 12v at the coil. Check your TCI/pickup coil connections (wiggle test).
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Yes, do you have no spark at the plugs? A jumped timing chain will not stop the coils from firing the plugs. It would just put the spark out of time with the valves, not enough compression at time of spark for the stoichiometry to be correct to ignite the fuel.

Pull no 1 plug, ground it to the engine and see if it sparks. If it does not spark, then reinstall no 1 with plug wire attached, and then check no 2. IF no 2 also does not spark, then it is time to look at the TCI or something like it. If 2 sparks and 1 does not, then you want to check ohms on pickup coils and coil for 1 and 4.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

No spark is usually caused by poor connections between plug wires and plugs. The resistors can also go bad in plugs. The plug wires can short to ground if they are cracked. The coils can be shot. The pick-up wires under the side cover can be trashed. The connectors between the pickup wires and the black box or the connectors between the black box and the coils can be bad. The ballast resistor can be shorted to frame or be bad (earlier than 81).The black box can be bad.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'll add CHECK THE BATTERY's voltage! Do this before the other diagnostics.

If your charging system isn't working right, you can slowly, or quickly deplete your battery's power....so that there's enough juice to turn the engine, but the voltage drops below the critical 10.5 volts needed to FIRE the ignition system...so you can crank and crank but NO FIRE!

Put a battery jumped to your battery and see if it will then start. Rule out a weak or dying battery before jumping onto the other ignition components!

T.c.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Found it I think pick up coils again
              1980 xs1100 sg.

Comment

Working...
              X