Spark Plug Coloring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Coloring

These pictures are of a spark plug currently running in a 1979SF.

Carburetor jetting is stock - all jets. Exhaust is stock. The ignition coils are Dyna and the air filter is K&N.

Question: What are your thoughts on the color? Is it lean, rich, or just right?

The fuel being used that is still in the tank is 90 octane E0 (non ethanol). This may or may not have affected the coloring. I have not looked at the plug coloring with E10 (ethanol) fuel. 90 Octane is the only available octane that I have found E0 in so far.

I leave E0 in the tank during the off season (winter) and run E10 regular normally.

Bike gets 35 MPG.

MP

1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Hard to tell the color from the pics Mike, but either gray or light brown/tan is ok, white would definitely be too lean.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

They're similar to others i've seen that are using aftermarket coils/irid. plugs.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Does not look sooty or ash covered, light grey color, might be just a tic lean, but nothing to lose sleep over. Like Phil stated, color is hard to see in a pic close enough to diagnose plugs.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Looks pretty close to good Mike. Like Don said, a tick lean.

You might try raising the main jet needles one notch at a time and see if you get a better tan. They should be on the center notch if they haven't been messed with. You can move the clip down (which will raise the needles) a total of 2 notches still if so.

I went up 1 size on all my main and pilot jets because mine was running a little hot and I had about the same color plugs. Kept the needles on the center notch. It helped quite a bit but I probably could have gone 2 sizes up.

Running the Mack 4 into 2 exhaust. Everything else pretty much stock.

Didn't affect the mileage noticeably.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Plug color

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Looks pretty close to good Mike. Like Don said, a tick lean.

You might try raising the main jet needles one notch at a time and see if you get a better tan. They should be on the center notch if they haven't been messed with. You can move the clip down (which will raise the needles) a total of 2 notches still if so.

I went up 1 size on all my main and pilot jets because mine was running a little hot and I had about the same color plugs. Kept the needles on the center notch. It helped quite a bit but I probably could have gone 2 sizes up.

Running the Mack 4 into 2 exhaust. Everything else pretty much stock.

Didn't affect the mileage noticeably.
            The needle clips are in the standard position. And I agree, a tic lean but not too lean. Next time I clean them I may richen the needles one notch.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
              The needle clips are in the standard position. And I agree, a tic lean but not too lean. Next time I clean them I may richen the needles one notch.
              You'll more likely than not lose gas mileage. They say run rich to avoid overheating but I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Check your timing and advance with a timing light as that drastically affects gas mileage [happened to me].
              78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
              79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Timing

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                You'll more likely than not lose gas mileage. They say run rich to avoid overheating but I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Check your timing and advance with a timing light as that drastically affects gas mileage [happened to me].
                I checked the advance a couple of years ago. Actually had the advance unit out. Vacuum advance was also working. But it has been long enough that I should check it again.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Great looking plugs, 'nuf said!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

They look fine to my eyes. Look at the body around the threads and there is no soot build up there which is one of the first places it will build up if you are rich. Also I can clearly see the line where the flame front ends down the length of the insulator which means you have a good heat range plug. I would leave it all alone.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                      Don't have that option, but from what I've seen reported here in the past for the early carbs adjustable metering rods has been the standard middle position for clip.
                      To richen things up a bit in the mains cruisin' LD rides, don't forget the ole' trick of the teeny-tiny washer under the clip instead of lowering clip one position. That'll give ya' approx. half a step.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                      X