"XS"ive play in the drive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "XS"ive play in the drive??

I seem to have a bit of play in my drive.
    If put the bike up on the main stand, and put it in gear(engine off), I can measure about two inches of turning on the rear tire outer edge when I hand roll it from forward to reverse.What I am checking is total play in the drive.
    It's not the final drive, as I can see through the "crack" in the boot.
    It's not in the "middle drive" as I can look into the fill hole and see the input shaft turn.
    It's not the primary chain, as I can look into the oil fill hole to watch the clutch basket.
    It appears to be in the tranny gears, as the amount of "play" reduces as I shift it up to 5th gear and test it.
    Is this about normal, or do I have a wear issue??

********************SPLASH************************ **
    "BIG JOHNSON"
    1981 XS1100SH
    FINISHED,READY TO RIDE

Drive Line Back Lash

I discovered about the same amount of play in my XS11E two years ago. Put it out of my head. Check once in awhile. No change and bike keeps on trucking. Me thinks it is normal 25 year old technology.
    Ken/Sooke

Comment

Mine is bout the same.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

xsesive play

it would be hard to check mine i have no center stand.But could that be the reason for the clunk when we shift into gear?Recently read the post on that somewhere in the fourums. Hey poolboy you almost ready for that ride soon?I'm offf work till next tue. if this freaking weather would co-operate we'd be in.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

The reason for this freeplay is that several of the gears in the transmission have dogs/slots that engage various gears. They can not be made with close tolerance (no play), or they would be very slow to engage. The free play you are describing is normal, do not worry about it unless it disappears.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Tsunami has about the same amount of play, too. I have come to accept that is just an accumulation of a little bit of slack in a whole bunch of places. Black Ice feels a bit tighter, but then it also has about 50,000 fewer kms on the odometer.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
            X