Converting to hydraulic brake light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to hydraulic brake light switch

I need a new rear brake light switch for my 79 1100F. I was not aware of a hydraulic brake light switch. The cost is less than an OEM Yamaha mechanical switch. Do they work well? Are they a simple install and done deal?

It should work just fine as long as there is room for the fitting down at the MC, make sure you get the correct thread pitch and of course you will have to bleed the brakes after install.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

So its mandatory it be installed on the MC and not on the caliper?

Comment

Should be ok down at the caliper I would think.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If you go with a hydraulic switch, use a OEM one off a Harley. The aftermarket automotive switches available these days aren't known for their quality or reliability. Picked that nugget of info up off a hot rod site....

You should mount it at the master, as the stresses from hitting bumps it would see at the caliper may crack/damage the fitting and/or the switch.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

This is the type I was considering. Looks like it takes the place of the banjo bolt.

This is for a Harley. How would this install? It looks like a sending unit.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post

This is for a Harley. How would this install? It looks like a sending unit.
              Harley uses a 'T' fitting in the middle of the rear brake line, but the switch uses a standard 1/8" pipe thread. There may be enough meat in the head of a XS banjo bolt to drill/tap one for the switch although it may be a bit finicky to do. If not, tapping a same-as-the-banjo-bolt-head nut for the switch then brazing that to a XS banjo bolt would do the trick.

I remember from the Sportster list I was on that those switch/banjo bolt combos had a spotty reliability reputation also....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hey MHarrington- I think I have a spare switch in my box of parts. It'll be in the mail tomorrow if so.
                Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 03-10-2014, 12:51 PM.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                X