Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here it is

The bike is filthy but its only been sitting 1 year
    Took some pics to see if its actually original or if some stuff is not..
    No idea whats suppose to be there and whats not...It has a windscreen..
    The tires are brand new..
    Took the seat off which is not original its what my dad calls a 1000 mile seat lol

Last edited by H4rdcore; 03-08-2014, 07:09 PM.
    Kelly
    81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

It looks pretty stock to me. The bolts in the back of the exhaust are not stock, looks like someone drilled out the exhaust and then decided to fix it with the bolts. OF course the fork brace and the highway pegs are not stock.

It does seem to be missing the grab bar for the seat.

The floor boards are not stock. It looks like it had a repaint possibly, the foot peg brackets should have gold in the grooves, same for timing and alternator covers, should have gold in the grooves.

I thought the springs and all on the shocks were black, not just the caps. But I might be wrong on that part.

Otherwise, it looks stock.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Okay so what is the purpose of that fork brace? Should i paint it black?
      Also i do have the grab bar just took it off..Should the engine guard be black?
      Kelly
      81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

The Fork Brace is aftermarket as stated, it's by TKAT. It's machined aluminum, and is probably polished, which can make it hard for paint to stick to it. It's up to you if you want to paint it or keep it polished as an accent piece!

The passenger riding foot board are also not stock. Also he has some unique forward cruise pegs/foot rests, but they are also not stock. The stock seats often push folks up against the fuel tank, and if he spent the $$ having the 1000 mile seat made, you may want to keep it instead....can make long distance trips more comfortable.

The engine guards are also aftermarket, again you can paint them if you want to.

As for the tires being NEW....they can LOOK new but actually be many years old. There's a BORN ON stamp on the sidewall in a small oval...will be 4 numbers, first 2 are the week #, the last 2 are the year #, ie. 3107 = 31st week of 2007. After about 6 years or so, the tires can harden and become slippery and such, depending on the amount of Ozone exposure and heat they've been subjected to.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Excellent...What is the purpose of the fork brace?
          Kelly
          81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

Rear tire is 4707 and front is 2310..but bikes been stored inside
            Kelly
            81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

Originally posted by H4rdcore View Post
              Excellent...What is the purpose of the fork brace?
              The front forks are a bit to small/narrow for proper rigidity and strength with the amount of weight and stress placed on them, the Fork "BRACE" does just that, it braces the fork tubes/sliders together so that they don't flex/twist and makes the front end more stable under loads/turning and such.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

check out the thread on Macs restoration

Check his restoration as well as other stock pictures of an 81 and you will see what yours looked like stock. Someone has done quite a bit of painting on you bike. As stated all the groves in the case covers and passenger pedal mounts should have gold in them. The 80 model did not have the grooves, there were decals on the covers and just black pedal mounts. Your pipes have been sprayed or coated with some kind of finish but from what I can see from the pictures they are not black chrome. No biggy as long as they are structurally sound. Looks like someone really added things to the bike to make it more comfortable for driver and passenger with the passenger pegs and the addition of the extended rider pegs up front. We haven't seen the seat but I am guessing it is one of those saddleman cruiser seats with the two deep seat buckets.

Have you been able to start the bike? I noticed no battery so just asking.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Going to try to start it up today...Done alot so far...and yes took the battery out to check and charge it
                  Kelly
                  81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

If the battery has sat for long without charging, it has been my experience that even charging it might be impossible. The ones I've had that sat seem okay, but are only good for three or four seconds of cranking before crapping out. The one I just replaced would start the bike at home, but crap out when I tried to leave my destination, which was inconvenient.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                    X