Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Box

Not sure if this is the right spot but is there a trick to getting off the air box 81 MNS without removing the carbs?
    Kelly
    81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

No. The only way to get the box off is after the carbs are removed.

Why are you removing the air box?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

If your referring to removal to access the filter and such, bottom-side of airbox there are 4 wingnuts, two each side. First remove the crankcase vent hose from crankcase and above at airbox as it will get inway of lower airbox removal to access filter. Hope that helps.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Okay i wanted to check and make sure its clean...is there a filter in there?
        I looked under it and theres 2 wingnuts but not holding anything. Also theres holes in the bottom..im assuming theres suppose to be something attached with the wing nuts
        Kelly
        81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

Originally posted by H4rdcore View Post
          Okay i wanted to check and make sure its clean...is there a filter in there?
          I looked under it and theres 2 wingnuts but not holding anything. Also theres holes in the bottom..im assuming theres suppose to be something attached with the wing nuts
          Those wing nuts should stay attached to the bolts they are on and the entire bolt will unscrew. There should be keepers to keep the bolts from dropping out of that lower piece.

Moto said to remove the vent hose but I've never had to. The whole thing will come out the RIGHT side. (I'm sure of the side this time) It's a tight fit but with patience you will prevail.

Also, this filter works backwards from an automotive air filter. The air is drawn from the inside out. The inner part of the filter is what gets dirty.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Great..ill do this tomorrow..Appreciate the advice..even though i may ask dumb questions I am pretty mechanical.
            Kelly
            81 MNS ( My Dads Baby)

Comment

No such thing as a dumb question. We certainly enjoy helping a new owner figure out the little subtleties than to help them figure out how to fix what they broke.

The wing nuts should be on some all thread that goes up into the box. As you unthread it, the wing nuts will lower a little.

If there are two or so larger holes, maybe 1-1/2" or so in the bottom of the air box in about the center, that is one way some folks increased the breathing of the engine. The unfiltered air goes into the center of the airbox then through the filter to get to the intake stacks going into the carbs.

You can pull the bottom part of the air box without removing the breather tube, done it many many times.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

If you're planning on replacing the filter they do make a K+N filter for our bikes. They may be a little spendy (bout $35) but its the last one you'll need to buy.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
                Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

both DGXSER and BA*) are correct. Lower portion of airbox is easily removed without removing crankcase venthose. I've just gotten so used to having to drop whole airbox downward after removing bottom of it to remove carbs out left side. Hopefully that annoying ritual won't have to repeat itself much in the furure.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

...Also theres holes in the bottom..im assuming theres suppose to be something attached with the wing nuts
                    You'll find holes drilled in the bottom of the airbox sometimes from a PO looking for more airflow. If they're drilled in the wrong place, you can get unfiltered air. Even when drilled, there's no performance advantage to be had, just makes more noise is all....
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Not sure if this is the right spot but is there a trick to getting off the air box 81 MNS without removing the carbs?
                      Hi Kelly and welcome,
                      the bottom half of the airbox drops down and can be removed when the captive wingbolts holding it to the top half are undone.
                      This lets you access the air filter for inspection or replacement.
                      The top half needs the screws that hold it to the frame be loosened so it can be slid back a little to get the carbs off.
                      There's a crapload of little fasteners that hold the airbox top half together.
                      Don't mess with them.
                      It took me over an hour to get the effin' thing re-assembled and I used to build jet engines.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                      X