Master cylinder and caliper rebuild - red rubber grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master cylinder and caliper rebuild - red rubber grease

I have been researching different greases for use on my brake rebuild project. Looking for comments on how others have done this on the XS11. I would like to know what and where you use the grease and in what amounts. I have read that the red rubber grease is basically for all rubber parts. I have also read on some forums that it is used on the inside of the brake caliper and master front and rear cylinders as lubricant where the rubber parts meet the metal. I have also read about niglube rm for the pivot bolts where metal meets metal. I guess my question is where and how much and does this stuff contaminate the brake fluid if used inside the calipers and master cylinders?
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Did a quick read on both lubes mentioned and both seem like they'd be worth a try, if your as anal as me.

With that said, no offense intended, these brake systems work really well when every part is disassembled, cleaned, paying special attention to the square groove inside the caliper, and reassembled with a thin film of clean brake fluid applied to all internal parts.

As for the caliper pins, just a thin coating of the niglube rm or other white grease would be sufficient.

In this link: http://www.redrubbergrease.com/ it states the RRG is compatable with the brake fluid.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

that was one of the sites I read

I have always just used brake fluid in the past, however on Ebay I have been noticing the small packet of red grease included with some of the rebuild kits which peeked my curiosity. The reason for the search and inquiry on this thread. I know the stuff has been around a while because I had purchased a caliper rebuild kit several years ago now... like ten... and I had a small container of the stuff in that kit. I didn't use it back then but on this rebuild I want to do everything I possibly can to make the brakes work better. With the spooge holes in this system I was just worried that this grease might cause them to clog. I am open for discussion on this topic.
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      Jim

Comment

I use the red stuff. It stains the brake fluid, but does not appear to hurt anything. Mostly, it goes away when you bleed the system. Brake fluid should be replaced annually anyway, right?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Grease

Generally, brake rebuild procedures have always stated to use brake fluid only. I suppose this is to ensure no contamination of the fluid and/or components. That is what I have always used.

MP
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

After a few more minutes on the RRG site and viewing this link:

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/tip-h...er-grease.html

I got to thinking about the rear MC and how its exposed to the elements that corrode the plunger, washer, C-clip and push rod.

When I rebuilt mine, both front and rear, I used silicone grease on those exterior parts to help prevent corrosion, but the RRG looks to be the right lube for those areas.

Comment

I have rebuilt hundreds of brake systems on cars and motorcycles, it is well worth using a lube of some sort. I use "Ultra Disk Brake Caliper Lube" from Permatex (#24110). just use the lube to assemble everything, add the fluid after you have the system back together. Much nicer than dealing with the brake fluid and newly painted parts. I wouldn't do a brake job on a bike without it.

Ride safe,
              Larry
              Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
              http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
              82 XJ1100
              80 XS1100G (Project bike)
              64 Yamaha YA-6
              77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
              See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

I don't even like the smell of brake fluid, and for sure don't ever get it on my skin.
                After all these years, thanks to cajun31, I've learned I don't have to succumb to the spilt Dot 4 or 5, you pick, woes no mo.

Ok that's that, got the rest of the day off, think I'll do taxes

Comment

That red rubber grease is designed to be used inside hydraulic brake systems. I've been using it for several years now (not including the little packets that come with some rebuild kits) and had zero issues with it. One thing it does much better than 'just' brake fluid is if a rebuilt part isn't put into service right away, it won't drain off like brake fluid will; I found that parts like master cylinders without the grease will tend to 'lock up' after sitting for some time. If you use it in the groove that the caliper piston seats in, that will help 'seal' the groove against corrosion (and another reason why cleaning this groove is critical). It also works excellently on the rubber caliper bushings that allows the calipers to 'slide' side-to-side for wear (all but the Special fronts/XJ rears) and the Special front/XJ rear caliper pivot bushings.

Downside is it's hard to find; none of my local parts stores knew anything about it (other than it came in some rebuild kits), and it's a bit expensive. I didn't find any US makers/OEM suppliers, but did find a eBay seller that was getting it out of Australia in the 'Penrite' brand. Also known as 'Girling' caliper grease, as they were the original developers.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yahman

I guess I read to much. I found this review on the Permatex 24110 http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110...RankDescending.

If you read all the reviews it goes back and forth on whether it causes swelling on rubber components. I guess it depends on who manufactured the rubber and what it is made out of. I am only following up on this post as a warning to everyone. I am assuming by your post that this is safe for our bikes. Of course I do not know how many different companies make brake component rebuild kits for our bikes so I am not just assuming that all are safe with the permatex product.

The reason I researched your post to begin with is because it seems this product is readily available at Advance Auto Parts stores. The Castrol red rubber grease is another whole ball of wax. I visited several auto stores and they had never even heard of the stuff much less stock it.
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

I agree with what they are saying about not using it on the rubber pin seals. I would also recommend a silicon lube of some type for those. I would have to go look in the garage to see what brand it is that I've been using.

Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Rrg

Here's some on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...er%20Grease%20

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                          Yeah, you can get it but it is not something you can easily get in the USA. That stuff comes from England.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            Yeah, you can get it but it is not something you can easily get in the USA. That stuff comes from England.
                            Point, click, wait a couple days, open the door, there it is . . . easy enough for me
                            Last edited by Schming; 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                              Point, click, wait a couple days, open the door, there it is . . . easy enough for me
                              Agreed, that is how I got mine too a few years back. I am just saying that it is not a product that is available locally. It is a product that is readily available overseas but not something you can just go to a store or dealership and pick up.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X