Front fork change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fork change

Is there any problem putting Standar forks, on a special? I am thinking of doing this to get better braking. Need to find calipers if i do. Allready have the forks.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Forks

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
    Is there any problem putting Standar forks, on a special? I am thinking of doing this to get better braking. Need to find calipers if i do. Allready have the forks.
    If you change to the Standard forks, you will also need to use the Standard triple tree. If not, you will cause a handling problem.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

The way I improved my Specials brakes was SS lines and a Brembo 16mm MC, it stops much better than my Standard does now with it's stock components. You will run into other issues when changing the forks/trees over such as the headlight ear length and headlight bucket mounting.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I am having a problem understanding how forks would cause a handling problem, unless they are a different length. They are straight! I have Standard headlight ears, and triple trees, but as lomg as the forks are not a different length, then the geometry should not change. ?????
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

The trees put the forks in a different position to accomidate the leading axle type forks on a Special keeping the rake/trail identical for both models. If you put your Standard forks in your Special trees, the wheel will sit back further reducing the rake/trail. You will have quicker steering. It will work that way, just not handle as it was intended.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

As Phil stated, the change in the axle position from on the front of the forks for the Special, to under the forks for the Standards changes the trail. Mamma Yamma changed the angle of the forks by changing the offset in the trees to adjust the trail to be the same for both models. So, putting Standard forks in Special trees reduces trail, putting Special forks in Standard trees increase trail. That is how it effects handling.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys. I had forgot that the front wheel mounted different. Makes sense. Had i thought about it i would have remembered. When i got the bike, it had Standard triple tree, with the Special forks. I changed that. I didn't really feel any difference, but there must be.
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Working...
              X