Headlight 2 x wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight 2 x wires?

I have read this somewhere but unable to find it. Headlight bucket, there is a solid brown wire with two female connectors, what plugs in. Don't have any spare wires left.

Also bike is 78E with a replacement wiring harness. Not sure what year, but was sold as a 78E. Unable to compare as the other wiring harness was trashed. By the way I am down under so everything is upside down. LOl

The brown and the green are turn signals, off hand I don't remember which is right and which is left. Then the dark blue is running lights.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

IIRC, the front brake light switch gets it's power from the double brown female connector, one side of the double brown isn't used.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        I have read this somewhere but unable to find it. Headlight bucket, there is a solid brown wire with two female connectors, what plugs in. Don't have any spare wires left.

Also bike is 78E with a replacement wiring harness. Not sure what year, but was sold as a 78E. Unable to compare as the other wiring harness was trashed. By the way I am down under so everything is upside down. LOl
        Hi Russell,
        which particular brown?
        there's the wires the diagram tags Br (for brown) which are coloured dark brown and work the leftside flashers on '78s & 79s and the rightside flashers on '80s & 81s.
        Then there's the wires the diagram tags T (for tan) which are coloured light brown and feed power to things when the key is turned on.
        Both Br & T wires have twin taps inside the headlight shell.
        Suggest you check what ain't working.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Checked the headlight bucket again. There is the brown wire with what I call a plug shaped like a W, so I'm thinking that it take's two male connectors.. Also a single red female plug. These two wires run along with the ignition switch wires x 3. Ignition wires plugged in but these two are left over. Have checked my ratted 78 loom and also 80 loom, both do not have these wires left over.
          Everything else is plugged in so there are no spare wires left over.
          Before you ask!!!! I decided to buy a complete loom to make things easy. Not so sure now.

Comment

The red is a spare, for an accessory. Not certain on the brown and I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Checked the headlight bucket again. There is the brown wire with what I call a plug shaped like a W, so I'm thinking that it take's two male connectors.. Also a single red female plug. These two wires run along with the ignition switch wires x 3. Ignition wires plugged in but these two are left over. Have checked my ratted 78 loom and also 80 loom, both do not have these wires left over.
              Everything else is plugged in so there are no spare wires left over.
              Before you ask!!!! I decided to buy a complete loom to make things easy. Not so sure now.
              Hi russell,
              it's multi-meter time.
              A solid red wire brings power from the main fuse to the ignition switch and should be hot all the time.
              A brown wire powers the turn signal and should show pulsed power when the signal is on and be dead otherwise.
              A tan wire runs power from the ignition switch but only when the key is on.
              Checking what kinda power is on the mystery wires will let you know what they were meant for.
              Note that (North American, anyway) '80 & '81 harnesses have an extra unused red and blue single female plug in the headlight shell to power up some optional thingie that most folks don't have.
              Mebbe you were sold a later model harness?
              Last edited by fredintoon; 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X