A different approach to the Hydraulic Clutch mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different approach to the Hydraulic Clutch mod

Has anyone tried this yet? I am considering a hydraulic clutch mod that uses a pull type slave cylinder that mounts in the current cable hole and pulls up the clutch arm. These are common on a lot of bikes now (especially off road) and are available in a certain online shopping website under "CNC Hydraulic clutch Handle with slave cylinder kit" the hose is 47 inches long which is plenty for my short bars and my only concern is the pull length on the cylinder.

Before I spend the money I wanted to ask if anyone had gone this route rather than the modified coverplate and push slave cylinder.

Thanks for any insight you may have....
    80 SG

Hey Massette,

I haven't seen or heard of anyone on here doing or using this type, but it's interesting. Here's the picture of the item on eBay I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Hydrauli...-/261132321025

I followed the URL that the photo showed, just some more photos on their site, and a listing of some of the bikes that it would fit onto...like 50cc models!?

Looks like a bit easier way of doing the hydraulic mod for sure, provided it has both enough pull length and strength!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

For me part of the Hydraulic Clutch mod would be the elimination of the internal clutch actuator, the part with 3 ball bearings, with the slave doing this instead. With the set-up TC has pictured you have a slave but retain the internal actuator increasing frictional losses.

One reason I didn't do the mod was I found a new genuine Yamaha clutch cable soaked in oil I fitted to my bike felt lighter than a mates' clutch with hydraulic mod.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Massette,

I haven't seen or heard of anyone on here doing or using this type, but it's interesting. Here's the picture of the item on eBay I found:

I followed the URL that the photo showed, just some more photos on their site, and a listing of some of the bikes that it would fit onto...like 50cc models!?

Looks like a bit easier way of doing the hydraulic mod for sure, provided it has both enough pull length and strength!?

T.C.
        I will never again buy ANY parts on ebay that are shipped from China. There are usually US Sellers that have bought their stock and are selling it here anyways.
        78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

An interesting idea. You may need to make an adapter to get the fit and length right where the slave cylinder goes into the clutch cover.

Ride safe,
          Larry
          Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
          82 XJ1100
          80 XS1100G (Project bike)
          64 Yamaha YA-6
          77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
          See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Looks like a dirt bike part....

One thing to look at would be if you can still fit the 'other' handlebar controls and their housing (turns, horn, hi-lo headlight).
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

taking the plunge

I found a different slave cylinder that I think will fit the bill. I have ordered it and the rest of the components needed. I will put together pictures as I go and let everyone know how it works. (if it works)

I measured the total movement of the arm at 14mm and believe this cylinder will pull closer to 30mm. (estimated)

I found a master cylinder with a 17mm bore so I got a set for the brake and clutch. I will let everyone know about that also.

80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by massette View Post
                Has anyone tried this yet? I am considering a hydraulic clutch mod that uses a pull type slave cylinder that mounts in the current cable hole and pulls up the clutch arm. These are common on a lot of bikes now (especially off road) and are available in a certain online shopping website under "CNC Hydraulic clutch Handle with slave cylinder kit" the hose is 47 inches long which is plenty for my short bars and my only concern is the pull length on the cylinder.
                Before I spend the money I wanted to ask if anyone had gone this route rather than the modified coverplate and push slave cylinder.
                Thanks for any insight you may have....
                Hi Paul and welcome,
                OK, your latest post said you already ordered the parts and I'm sure we'd all like to know how well the system works when it's done.
                BUT
                What was your motivation?
                If it's that you just gotta have a hydraulically actuated clutch; fair enough.
                If it's that your cable operated clutch is too hard to pull, here's what worked on my SG to cut the cable pull 50% at no cost.
                Completely remove the cable.
                Spray carb cleaner down the cable with an oiler gadget to wash out all the old crud.
                Spray cable lube through the clean cable.
                Re-install the cable in a single open-air swoop from the lever to the clutch instead of hiding it under the tank.
                This will take out all those friction-adding sharp bends.
                Sure it's not what you are used to seeing but it's far easier to pull.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  T.C.
                  Hi TC,
                  can you get a right-handed one?
                  Two of those would make a trick statement when installed to work the clutch and front drum brake on an old Britbike.
                  Rear brake too on a B33 but my B25 has a rod-operated rear.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was worried about the information about the small bike on the page also. The complete set I first posted about looks like a REALLY small master and lever. I also looked at the problem of these have to reach around the switches and throttle.

I ended up ordering these.

I have short bars and the stock Brake Master is at an angle that doesn't allow filling (and it is leaking a little) so I decided on the set. I like the 17mm bore on these to shorten the lever pull, but of course you have to pull harder the bigger the bore.

These Master Cylinders's don't have the 10mm mirror hole so I also got a set of the mirror mounts they have for like $5.

We will see.... I prefer to buy things I can touch with my hands and judge them before I buy but that is really tough when it comes to this kind of project.
                    80 SG

Comment

They sure look nice!

Larry
                      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                      82 XJ1100
                      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                      64 Yamaha YA-6
                      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi TC,
                        can you get a right-handed one?
                        Two of those would make a trick statement when installed to work the clutch and front drum brake on an old Britbike.
                        Rear brake too on a B33 but my B25 has a rod-operated rear.
                        Hey Fred,

The website in the photos: www.yitonmoto.com they showed both right brake as well as left clutch, but you can't order them from that site, it apparently is a WHOLESALE type site. So hopefully somebody on eBay will sell them.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                        X