Fitting a Larger Rear Tire to the XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a Larger Rear Tire to the XS

This comes up from time to time (note the V-max swingarm post) so I thought I'd post an abbreviated version of what's needed to go larger than a 140/90-16 (the largest size that will fit the stock bike); You can go up to 6.1" wide, but some tires may need some 'shaving' on the drive side.

To get anything larger than a 140/90-16 on you need to heavily modify the swingarm. Cutting away the 'flat' by the driveshaft, then re-filling that area will gain you just (barely) enough room to fit a 160/80-16 rear. But you won't be done; you also have to cut out the brake anchor pin on the other side and install one that's removable, otherwise you can't get the tire past the pin. This will also require that you install the tire/wheel and final drive as a loose assembly; again, there isn't enough room with the FD installed.

To give an idea, here's a few pics....

I cut/refilled the arm so the actual driveshaft sticks out of the arm...

... then fabbed a thin tin cover to seal the opening, holding the cover as close to the shaft as possible.

Here's the removable anchor pin. I turned a threaded insert for the arm and welded it in, then modified a 1/2" bolt for the new pin. The bolt bottoms in the hole.

I'll post this as a full tip if I ever get the bike completed...
    Last edited by crazy steve; 02-19-2014, 11:46 AM. Reason: Add pics...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    you also have to cut out the brake anchor pin on the other side and install one that's removable, otherwise you can't get the tire past the pin.
    Can you let the tyre air out, push the tyre in with thumbs to get it past the original pin and inflate the tyre once in?
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
      Can you let the tyre air out, push the tyre in with thumbs to get it past the original pin and inflate the tyre once in?
      If you have very strong thumbs, maybe....

I tried that, but was afraid I'd knock the bike over while wrestling it in past the FD and brake pin. You're about 1/2" short on clearance in both places with a 6" tire and the tire is not all that flexible...

The way I look at it is I'll never have an excuse for not cleaning/lubing the FD splines...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...