V-max swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-max swingarm

I did some searching around and found some info but never found any conclusive results, anyone know of anyone ever converting to a v-max swingarm? I'd like to get a wider tire on the rear of my project bike, as I'm not looking to be dragging the pegs off the thing, and this seems like it could be an effective method if the parts jive at all. Any info would be appreciated!
    81 XS11 Special

V-max

Have not heard of this? But would like too.

Comment

I've found several posts around the net talking about it being a possible option, but nothing about anyone actually getting the parts and checking fitment/application. I might just have to order one up off fleabay and see how it lines up. If it's possible then it would be possible to put quite a wide tire on, there's a pretty decent aftermarket available for the vmax to get up to a 300 in the back, still utilizing the shaft drive!
      81 XS11 Special

Comment

One reason the V-max comes up for this is it shares a very similar driveshaft with the XS11....

Fitting a larger tire to the XS is not easy. But the limiting factor isn't the swingarm per se, but the driveshaft. With careful mods to the existing swingarm, you can fit up to a 6.1" wide tire (the upper limit with the stock swingarm is 5.4"). But to go wider than that, you'll need to move the driveshaft out and the complication just went up a bunch.

The really major problem is moving the middle drive out to maintain the correct geometry. You'll need two custom made parts; a machined spacer for the MD housing (the easy part) and a longer MD input shaft. The shaft is the deal-breaker, as having this built and heat-treated will be some serious $$$. You'll still have the issue of disassembling the MD, installing the new shaft, then reassembling it with proper preload and gear lash.

You'll also have issues at the swingarm pivot on the frame. The OEM u-joint is already close here, moving it out will require some serious frame mods. You'll also have to move the upper shock mounts out and cut off or modify the frame behind the mounts.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the list of changes needed is pretty long and you'll need first-class fab skills to accomplish them.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Fab work is not really an issue, thanks for the insight! Definitely want at least a 180 back there to complete the look I want. I am considering a chain drive conversion also, this may be the easier route to get there. Consider this an interest thread also, if anyone would be interested in buying a v-max swingarm conversion I may consider producing them. But from the history of this forum most prefer to keep their bikes mostly stock so I don't anticipate a waiting list lol

If I could figure a way to make the xs adapt to the vmax swingarm with a basic part's list then it would open up the availability of using any aftermarket vmax swingarm currently available. That would be my favorite option, but I'm not sure how feasible, depending on how the vmax swingarm will line the driveshaft up with the xs's frame
          81 XS11 Special

Comment

The largest size tire you can fit without wholesale changes is a 160/80-16; see here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41542

I looked at larger sizes before I did this mod, but the degree of difficulty/expense went up sharply for little gain. To go bigger than I did, a chain drive is really the answer....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

v-max swingarm is considerably wider at the pivot points than XS. Make it more narrow and you have a xs swingarm
              XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
              MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
              Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
              Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
              Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
              Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Some additional info: there are two adjusting screws to adjust the swingarm from left to right in order to center the swingarm correctly. They are hidden behind the two round chrome covers on each side of the frame. With these you can move the swingarm to the left as much as possible. Beware that the U-joint must be able to turn freely at all times. When doing so you can gain another 5mm or so when you decide to use another rear wheel or move the existing wheel to the right. And 5mm on one side is an extra 10mm of tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
                  v-max swingarm is considerably wider at the pivot points than XS. Make it more narrow and you have a xs swingarm
                  It is also longer than the XS! So you need to alter the shaft as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
                    Some additional info: there are two adjusting screws to adjust the swingarm from left to right in order to center the swingarm correctly. They are hidden behind the two round chrome covers on each side of the frame. With these you can move the swingarm to the left as much as possible. Beware that the U-joint must be able to turn freely at all times. When doing so you can gain another 5mm or so when you decide to use another rear wheel or move the existing wheel to the right. And 5mm on one side is an extra 10mm of tire.
                    You don't gain that much.... I looked at this when I did my mod, and while you're moving the swingarm over that much, you're only moving one end of the driveshaft that far, so the net gain is less. You've also changed the angle that the driveshaft has relative to the FD and while some misalignment is acceptable, this made me nervous about increased wear.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

You could be right, could be 3mm. Is already a long time ago I did that. But the bike is still running with this mod after all those years. No probs at all.

Comment

You can read this: click

Ther you see that I also narrowed the left pivot point and used a longer adjusting bolt on the other side ...

I knew there was more to it ...

Comment

You were way more ambitious than I was....

Very slick swap...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Wow! Lots of great info here guys thanks!
                            81 XS11 Special

Comment

Working...
                            X