Moving my ass back on an XJ1100 seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving my ass back on an XJ1100 seat

I am 6 foot with an 31" inseam. I sit forward on the stock seat such that my shins are angled back to the pegs and my package is next to the tank. Very uncomfortable on long rides. I sometimes ride using the buddy seat.

Has anyone altered their seat to move the rider rearward about 2" to 3"? If so what needs to be moved in order to accomplish that. I do not have a buddy rider and do not care about the rear seat. The tool box is under the buddy seat so it may not need moving. The seat shell has a large bubble above the TCI unit, don't know what or why that is there. The seat pan appears plastic and can be altered, with fiber glass?
    Also does anyone have an old XJ1100 seat pan they would be willing to part with for this alteration? Covering and foam not needed.

FYI XS pans will not work.
    Thank you for reading or responding to this thread.
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

I think I do. Will check tonight.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

I am 6' with a 34" inseam. I find highway pegs mounted on the engine guard makes a quite comfortable sitting position for highway riding. It's not a big deal reaching back with either foot to shift or brake as necessary. It also allows for 3 different positions on the seat to shift weight when your in the saddle for hours at a time.

Highway pegs, front pegs, and passenger pegs.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thank you SFerinTEXAS. I look forward to getting this project started.
        Dell82
        Houston, TX

Comment

BA80 I also have pegs and use them. You are right they push me back against the buddy seat and that works. However I also like riding when in traffic close to the controls with my left thumb on the horn. When I need to jump off the bike I want to have my feet on the pegs under me, not on Hwy pegs. I believe that is best for me, I have never had to jump off yet, praise the lord.
          Dell82
          Houston, TX

Comment

Originally posted by DELL82 View Post
            BA80 I also have pegs and use them. You are right they push me back against the buddy seat and that works. However I also like riding when in traffic close to the controls with my left thumb on the horn. When I need to jump off the bike I want to have my feet on the pegs under me, not on Hwy pegs. I believe that is best for me, I have never had to jump off yet, praise the lord.
            My mistake. I thought you were talking about long rides as in highway in your first post.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

No problem Greg. I was talking about long rides. In those rides I use the Hwy pegs and the OEM pegs. It's the OEM pegs that I have a problem with. I don't like the riding position and want to change it.
              Dell82
              Houston, TX

Comment

It's yours. PM sent.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

I am 6' 1" with a 32 inch inseam. Over the years this is what I did to make my XJ more comforatable for long rides.

1. Diamond custom seat
                  2. Highway pegs on 3-point case guards
                  3. Replaced footpegs with mini-floorboards and heel-toe shifter. This lowered the pegs by about an inch or so.

Mini-floorboards cost me some clearance and drag faster than the stock pegs but added a lot of comfort. Some folks have swapped in Honda GL1500 pegs in the stock location. These pegs are wider and more comfortable than stock pegs as well as maintaining lean angle clearance. I liked the lowered mini-boards, also put a peg lowering kit on my Concours, found my knees gave me a lot less trouble after a long ride due to a more natural angle.

Original pegs are rivited in but these can be removed without much trouble and a SS bolt/nut can be used to mount the replacement units.

The seat that came with my XJ had been recoverd and was most uncomfortable. The Diamond was not cheap, around $400.00, but has a "dish" in it with a lip that offers lower back support. Very comfortable after a break-in period.

With the seat, lower mini-boards, and highway pegs the XJ could take on long trips with a lot more comfort.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Interested to see how you go with this project. Be great to see a few pictures of what you do. Have the same problem with my XS SF seat. It kinda pushes me forward and makes my underwear strangle the undercarriage. Most unpleasant!
                    79 SF
                    Honda KO 750
                    Honda K2 750 Bobber in progress
                    Moto Guzzi 1000cc mongrel custom
                    HD FXST 2008
                    Bonneville SE 2010 (wifeys)

Comment

Working...
                    X