Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '84 XJ1100 valve shim question

Before I post in the parts forum...

I've recently had a valve job done on this sweet beast and as the mechanic couldn't locate an accurately sized shim, we went with the looser spec'd size in one cylinder which has resulted in an irritating clacking sound I'd love to kill. He said the size of shim needed is 1.75 but he went with 1.80 (I think) to default to the safe side of the spec. Anyway my question is, does this sizing sound remotely correct? Everything I've seen for sale in a 29mm shim is 2.00 to 3.10. Nothing smaller?
    Am I even looking for the right size? Why can't I find these?

thanks for any help. This is my first post. Amazing forums!
    84 Maxim Canadian

I believe the shim chart goes from 200 (2.00) to 320 (3.20) for all of my bikes using 29mm shims. Also, by skipping a puck size, you can take the clearance out of spec one way or the other.
    Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

With the wider(more open) size spec then there'd be a little more noise than if it was close to the in spec (smaller).
      Generally if your engine is quiet, then the shims/valve clearances are too tight. Therefore these engines generally are 'noisy'.

Hope that's as clear as mud.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't sound right.

Lots of places to buy shims. Kawasaki and BMW also use 29mm shims.

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...lve_shims.html

http://www.sudco.com/29valveshims.html

http://www.bikebandit.com/k-l-valve-...ent-shims-29mm

http://www.procycledepot.com/29MM_VA...503-85274.html
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Shims

As the saying goes, "hindsight is always 20-20". Machinist should have ground the valves to make the existing shims work. After getting the head back from him, no adjustment should have been necessary.

Many size shims, as has been mentioned, are available. One of them should "fix" your clacking. Also make sure that your noise is not from a leaking exhaust port gasket.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            As the saying goes, "hindsight is always 20-20". Machinist should have ground the valves to make the existing shims work. After getting the head back from him, no adjustment should have been necessary.

Many size shims, as has been mentioned, are available. One of them should "fix" your clacking. Also make sure that your noise is not from a leaking exhaust port gasket.
            Is it really ok to grind shims? Don't they have a protective hardened coating on them and are very VERY flat to avoid scoring your cams?
            78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
            79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

No never grind shims. He said grind the valves.
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                No never grind shims. He said grind the valves.
                Can't read, my bad.
                78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                  Can't read, my bad.
                  The heads that I have had machined have all had the valves adjusted by the machinist when he performs the valve job.

When you grind the seats, the valves go further up in the head -only a few thousandths. Therefore, the machinist grinds the valve tip to obtain the exact valve adjustment per the Yamaha service manual. The valve tip grinding is done before the springs/keepers/retainers are assembled. And, Viola, no valve adjustment needed when you reinstall the head.

So when you take a head to the machinist, give him all of the parts to the head including - pucks, shims, camshafts, and caps.
                  Last edited by MPittma100; 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM.
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                    When you grind the seats, the valves go further up in the head -only a few
                    thousandths. Therefore, the machinist grinds the valve tip
                    It's called "dressing" the stems. That's exactly correct Mike.

This needs to be done or you end up with what lsb909 is experiencing. With screw type valve adjustments it's not nearly as critical but with these shimmed valves it needs to be done. Either that or replace the valves and some of these valves are no longer available new.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

There's a minimum distance on the valve stems, so you have to be careful when dressing the valve stem tips. Minimum is 4mm (.157") from the top of the valve keeper groove to the end of the stem. If you go under that, then the shim bucket can come into contact with the retainer rather than the valve stem tip, allowing the keeper to loosen, leading to catastrophic failure when you drop a valve down a cylinder. I had just this happen to a motor when the machinist cut the stems short, so this isn't BS...

This is the weak point in this motor; once the valve seats have worn enough that the valves have recessed too far into the head, you can no longer find shims thin enough to adjust the valves. Yamaha says to replace the head and valves; your other choices are custom shims, custom retainers, custom valves with shorter stems, or custom cams ground with a smaller base circle. The OEM seats are cast into the head and I don't think there's enough margin between them to make replacing the seats feasible.

Custom = $$$$
                      Last edited by crazy steve; 02-12-2014, 12:28 AM.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Amazing!

Thanks to all for the excellent info. I'll take it from here and see if I can find the right shim at one of the dealers. And I'll take up the more technical info directly with the guy doing the actual maintenance here as I only know enough mechanical info to get myself into trouble.
                        Can't thank you all enough for the quick responses.
                        This is an amazing forum and I'm glad to have stumbled into it!
                        84 Maxim Canadian

Comment

Shims

Originally posted by lsb909 View Post
                          Thanks to all for the excellent info. I'll take it from here and see if I can find the right shim at one of the dealers. And I'll take up the more technical info directly with the guy doing the actual maintenance here as I only know enough mechanical info to get myself into trouble.
                          Can't thank you all enough for the quick responses.
                          This is an amazing forum and I'm glad to have stumbled into it!
                          If you end up needing shims, they are available from several places. One of which is Ebay for used ones.
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors

Mike

Comment