Bike Puchase Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Puchase Advise

Well, I've come up with a few to chose from( XS)but now I have some questions. Found a couple with 11,000 - 13,000 mile and a couple with low 20s. What sort of maintenence would I expect to have to do on one of these? One has locked brakes and another with carb problems. I'm in the auto repair bussiness so I think I could handle rebuilding the carbs or hydraulics but I've heard mention about adjusting valves?? So what is the life expectancy of the engine/trans/clutch provideing it wasn't beat to death? I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into and if it's worth paying a lot more for 10,000 less miles. Also, how available are rebuild parts such as for brake cyls and carb kits. Sorry for the mutiple questions but I'm sure there's some good insight here.
    Thanks Underdog
    Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
    2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Look under "Tech Tips" for a good article "What To Look For In A Used XS". Basically these bikes are good for 100K or more. Most of what you are looking at is basic maintenance, and there are carb and brake caliper and m/c kits available from Yamaha and 3rd party vendors. Many cosmetic parts are no longer available from Yamaha, and some mechanicals such as XJ OEM mufflers are no longer available, either. If your intent is to restore, then, you will have to look at alternate sources like eBay, If you just want to ride you shouldn't have trouble getting parts. Shop manuals, both Yamaha and aftermarket, are available. Lots of first-hand knowledge and experience available through this list. Good luck!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I too am in the auto repair business... If you can fix today's cars there is nothing on an XS that should give you any trouble if you have a decent manual. ( I recommend Clymer's)
      I think the care the PO gave the bike means more than 10K extra miles. I bought mine with 40K on it and believe it was rather neglected the last few years the PO had it. I have done a fair amount of work on it, mostly upgrades and maintenence stuff, and at 48K it is still real solid mechanically.
      buffalo
      80 XS1100SG

Comment

Locked brakes can be tapped with a 2x4 to release them, if they are set up too hard to release this way then they are probably junk (rusted) and you will be looking for good used pistons (good luck!!) They engine and trans will last at least 100K miles, mine had 89K on it when I sold it last fall. I think that the miles you mention there is no difference, pick the nicest running one. Do a compression check, check for 2nd gear problem. Read my tip 'What to look for in a neglected XS' in the tips section of the forum.

most likely places for problems:

Fuel system, tanks and lines and CARBS
        Brakes
        Battery
        Rotten Tires
        Mice in airbox muffler
        2nd gear

Good luck with your new ride!!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

brakes / carbs

I bought an 82' XJ1100 for $200 and knew that it needed carb work. When I got it home and wheeled it off the trailer, the front calipers locked up when the brakes were applied. This bike had sat for 2+ years. I pried the front calipers off and tried to 'c-clamp' the pistons back but they wouldn't budge. Then I sprayed it with liquid wrench and let it sit for a couple days to soak it all in. C-clamp worked and I got the pistons back in. Then I hooked it up to the bike to press the pistons out hydraulically. The insides were pretty ugly but I cleaned them up until they felt pretty smooth, removed the o-rings and cleaned them up, cleaned up piston (which looked like new when done) and reassembled. Also rebuilt front master cylinder which was really ugly. All works great now, although I haven't road tested yet since I'm still working on carbs.

I guess my point is, if I can do it, anyone can... Especially an auto mechanic. I'm just a hack of a garage wrench turner - this is my first motorcycle... I've worked on a few cars before but that's it.

Hopefully the carbs will soon be solved and I can ride this beast. Good luck in your search for used bike.

Tom Brant

Comment

Working...
          X