Exhaust Flange Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Flange Nuts

Anyone know a good source for new nuts? Boats.net doesn't have them anymore if I'm right. Starting a new build that will be the brother of Carbon.

Originally posted by XS1100carbon View Post
    Anyone know a good source for new nuts? Boats.net doesn't have them anymore if I'm right. Starting a new build that will be the brother of Carbon.
    I just use regular old S/S nuts from the hardware store with a deep drive. Works good.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

What condition are the studs in, BTW?
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

They're just out of the late version... the early style is still available.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...-08004-00.html

These are chrome and use a 6mm allen; the late ones were zinc plated and used a 8mm allen.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Nuts

Thank You Steve, and everyone Got them little suckers ordered. These are for my next build that will be Carbons brother, his name will be, Bucky.

Comment

studs

James the studs are new.

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100carbon View Post
              James the studs are new.
              did your old ones come out without too much trouble then?
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                did your old ones come out without too much trouble then?
                I too am wondering if your studs came out.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Studs

Most were already out had to replace them. The one's left in gave me no problem. I believe at the shop they have a tool that clamps down on the threads as you turn it.

Comment

A couple of things that need to be noted....

When replacing the studs and/or exhaust, be aware there's two lengths; Yamaha used two different flanges on the exhaust head pipes (look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37191) plus there's some different yet again lengths on most aftermarket pipes. The early exhaust nuts will bottom out on a too-long stud (6mm hole for the wrench, but 8mm stud), the later discontinued ones won't, although if the studs are too long, you won't be able to get the wrench into the nut far enough to tighten it.

If you have the right length studs, either nut type will work. If they're long, you may have to stack some washers under the nuts to get the flanges tight.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

OEM studs have a bulge in the middle, to stop them going too far into the head. The threas on both sides of the bulge should go right up to the bulge, with no non-threaded area.

For my XJR, I bought titanium studs, with bulge, which were slightly too long. They protruded about 5mm beyond the tightened flange nuts. I just sawed off the excess...

Before cut

After cut

Comment

Working...
                      X