Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the reed switch in the speedo for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the reed switch in the speedo for?

I am redoing the wiring on my xs1100 and I noticed that there is a reed switch in the speedo. I found this to be strange given that the speedo is mechanical. Looking at the wiring diagram the white/green wire from the reed switch is supposed to go to the flasher canceling unit (which I have removed). What does this reed switch do? If I were to guess it would be that the reed switch keeps the cancellation unit from turning off the turn signal when you are stationary such as when sitting at a light. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case? (if so it is very clever) I have a 1980 xs1100 special model btw.

It counts speedometer head revolutions and sends a signal to the auto turn signal canceller.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, the reed switch is one of the things that tells the turn canceller when to cancel. Don't need it if the canceller is gone....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...