Rear Frame Tube Inner Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Frame Tube Inner Diameter

Does anyone know what the I.D. of the frame tubing on the rear where our fenders are bolted on? Gotta go buy some tube for plug welding and I only have a limited window to use my campus's TIG
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Hmm. I know there are a few different sizes OD on this frame. 1" & possibly 7/8". When I did my GS850 cafe and cut the back, I believe the ID was nothing more than a 1/16". I'm willing to bet the Yammy frame is not much different.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Drill a small hole, 1/16 inch or whatever, the smallest bit you have, through one wall. Take a piece of wire and put it in the hole , touching the inside of the opposite wall with the end of the wire. Clamp a pair of vise grips onto the outer end of the wire, with the tip of the jaws against outer surface of the tube.
      Remove the wire and vise grips, measure the length of the wire, subtract that measurement from the measured diameter of the tube, and you have one wall thckness. Double that, and subtract that number from the outside diameter, and you have the inside diameter plus or minus measurement errors.
      Be aware that wall thickness on bends varies, so pick a straight section, and also be aware that if the tubing not seamless, you may by chance hit the weld seam on the inside, so some judicious probing of the wire after insertion will allow you to tell if you really have the smooth wall on the opposite inside wall to measure from.
      I would also get tubing a bit smaller than the calculated diameter, just in case the tubes are not round. If the inner tube is a sloppy fit, it can be hit with a hammer to square it, which in effect makes the corners a bit larger that the original diameter, and will provide support for the outer tubes until you can weld them.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        Hmm. I know there are a few different sizes OD on this frame. 1" & possibly 7/8". When I did my GS850 cafe and cut the back, I believe the ID was nothing more than a 1/16". I'm willing to bet the Yammy frame is not much different.
        That thick??? Wow, no wonder our bikes weigh so much. I guess this deltabox frame FZR has me spoiled
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

Comment

I'm not very knowledgable about metal except working with sheetmetal for projects, etc. But,is 1/16" ID thick when in-relation to how heavy our bikes are? If anything, I was surprised it was so thin, but I'm not an engineer, and bought a pre-fabbed roll cage for my Mustang
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
            I'm not very knowledgable about metal except working with sheetmetal for projects, etc. But,is 1/16" ID thick when in-relation to how heavy our bikes are? If anything, I was surprised it was so thin, but I'm not an engineer, and bought a pre-fabbed roll cage for my Mustang
            The the inner diameter 1/16" or was that the wall thickness?

Comment

Ahh, me dummy brain. Yes indeed. I have no idea what the actual ID of the tube is. MY BAD broski
              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Keep in mind the ID there is not round like the OD. There is a weld ridge longways inside. Has to be taken into consideration.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
                  Does anyone know what the I.D. of the frame tubing on the rear where our fenders are bolted on? Gotta go buy some tube for plug welding and I only have a limited window to use my campus's TIG
                  The nominal wall thickness there should be .070" but may be .090". These are the two thicknesses I've found in these frames. The 'main' parts of the frame (engine cradle, uprights at the swingarm) are .090" I know for sure, most of the rest is .070". But none of it is seamless tubing, all will have a ridge in it and trying to find a 'slip fit' tube that will go into this is pretty much a waste of time; it's pretty lumpy in there. BTDT....

I've had the best luck by cutting the joints at an angle, making the joint as long as possible. As an alternative, get some tubing about 1/8" smaller than the OD, then split it lengthwise with at least a 1/8" wide cut. Drive this into the existing tube with the 'split' lined up with the ridge, tack weld it, then drive your 'new' piece over it.
                  Last edited by crazy steve; 02-04-2014, 01:24 PM.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    The nominal wall thickness there should be .070" but may be .090". These are the two thicknesses I've found in these frames. The 'main' parts of the frame (engine cradle, uprights at the swingarm) are .090" I know for sure, most of the rest is .070". But none of it is seamless tubing, all will have a ridge in it and trying to find a 'slip fit' tube that will go into this is pretty much a waste of time; it's pretty lumpy in there. BTDT....

I've had the best luck by cutting the joints at an angle, making the joint as long as possible. As an alternative, get some tubing about 1/8" smaller than the OD, then split it lengthwise with at least a 1/8" wide cut. Drive this into the existing tube with the 'split' lined up with the ridge, tack weld it, then drive your 'new' piece over it.
                    I might elect for the latter. Of course this wouldn't be as easy as I thought . Seemed like a pretty simple procedure.

My backup plan was to weld a sleeve onto the part I chopped off. Then drill holes through the open part of the sleeve, tap them, and link it up to the frame with a set screw on each sleeve. Any thoughts on this? It would also all me more time to tinker because I wouldn't have to have my whole bike in the shop, just the rear end I chop. PLUS, it would make for a nice and quick removable rear fender.
                    Last edited by D0wn5h1ft; 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I can tell you from experience that trying to 'slip fit' sleeve any joint when altering a frame with seamed tubing is an exercise in futility. I went so far as to trying to machine my own sleeves for the best possible fit and by the time I got one that didn't have to be hammered in it still ended up too loose.

If you're going to try an external sleeve, don't use set screws; those will just crush the inner tube over time. But the basic idea is good; if you bolt through both tubes and weld a sleeve in the inner tube bolt holes so it won't crush, that will hold up and give a tight joint.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        I can tell you from experience that trying to 'slip fit' sleeve any joint when altering a frame with seamed tubing is an exercise in futility. I went so far as to trying to machine my own sleeves for the best possible fit and by the time I got one that didn't have to be hammered in it still ended up too loose.

If you're going to try an external sleeve, don't use set screws; those will just crush the inner tube over time. But the basic idea is good; if you bolt through both tubes and weld a sleeve in the inner tube bolt holes so it won't crush, that will hold up and give a tight joint.
                        Sounds like we might have come up with a good place to start. 7/8" ID isn't a standard for DOM steel tubing so I'm going to have to get something close. My options for standard sizes are either a little too small or a little too big. Which one do you think I should go for:

1 OD x .065 wall x .870 ID
                        1 OD x .058 wall x .884 ID
                        1-1/8 OD x .120 wall x .885 ID
                        1-1/4 OD x .188 wall x .874 ID

Any thicker wall than these and it's going to look like crap. I do have access to a lathe, technically, but it's going to cost me a 12 pack of beer to get it done for me.

Comment

A little too big, then saw cut along the length of your insert, it can then be sprung into the frame tube and be a perfect fit.
                          Tom
                          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                          X