coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil question

I was out trying to get the E going for someone to look at it tomorrow and it would only start if I kept the start button pushed (bypassing the resistor). If I let off it would die. It started good when it was warm out but it's 32 degrees today.

I bypassed the ballast resistor and it will run now but definitely needs the carbs cleaned again. Looking at the coils neither one says "to be used with external resistor" on it like all the other coils I have. If they have been changed to later coils that don't use the resistor would this cause it to not spark when it's cold and run through the resistor?

Do all the coils that need the resistor say that on them?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    I was out trying to get the E going for someone to look at it tomorrow and it would only start if I kept the start button pushed (bypassing the resistor). If I let off it would die. It started good when it was warm out but it's 32 degrees today.

I bypassed the ballast resistor and it will run now but definitely needs the carbs cleaned again. Looking at the coils neither one says "to be used with external resistor" on it like all the other coils I have. If they have been changed to later coils that don't use the resistor would this cause it to not spark when it's cold and run through the resistor?

Do all the coils that need the resistor say that on them?
    Hi Greg,

I know the later 3ohm coils don't use the bullet plug-ins, but that's easily changed on one end or the other. Like you, all coils I've seen state 'use with external resister' if required. Old school applications didn't matter cept for frying points before their time if not used. My foggy old school memory brings up something pertaining to this scenario, but just can't quite recall it.

I would think either would work bypassing the ballast resistor, although incorrect voltages can affect the TCI module's function eventually. Possibly sooner than later.

Know that wasn't of much help, but may stir some old school thoughts for you.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Is the ohm rating marked on the coils?
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

OK Brant, It looks as if the ends have been changed on the coils that are on there so they probably are later ones.

Originally posted by James England View Post
        The coils say 12V and there are some other numbers on there but nothing that says ohms.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
          No, it almost never is marked on any coil. But it can be measured easily.
          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Exactly, measure the primary resistance of the coils. That will tell you if they are 3 ohm or 1.5. If they are 3 the ballast resistor being wired in will cause weak spark, and may not be good for the TCI. If they are 1.5, that sounds like symptoms of a bad BR.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Exactly, measure the primary resistance of the coils. That will tell you if they are 3 ohm or 1.5. If they are 3 the ballast resistor being wired in will cause weak spark, and may not be good for the TCI. If they are 1.5, that sounds like symptoms of a bad BR.
              Greg, just went and looked at my old 'tired' pair of Yammie coils. If the 3ohm coils, they'll have 4H7 embossed on them.

Obviously not familiar with all the differences on the earlier models, but guessin' maybe the 1.5ohm Yammie coils may have 2H7 embossed on them. That assumption of course is just based on the 4 marked on the later coils corresponds with the 81 4RO Special or 4R1 Standard(Venturer).
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

These coils have been replaced by a PO I know. I'll test them to be sure but I'm fairly confident they are 3 ohm coils.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  OK Brant, It looks as if the ends have been changed on the coils that are on there so they probably are later ones.

The coils say 12V and there are some other numbers on there but nothing that says ohms.
                  Below the 12V, etc. they'll have 4H7 on them if the later model 3ohm coils. I also unsoldered and used the still great condition snap-loc plug in and wires, soldering them back on the spades on the replacement VF500 coils.

Comment

There is no 4H7 stamped on these coils.

I measured ohms on the primaries in these and got about 5.8 on both. Measured one extra I have that's stamped for use with the BR and it measures about 3.5.

That sounds a little high for both but I'm not sure how accurate my ohm meter is either.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X