X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure for tuning bike with mods or BS?

I'm interested on anyones opinion on this product :

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

I may just spring for a kit, for my XV700, when I get to that build.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

These aren't a 'cure', it's more of a 'alternative' method. Semi-popular with the Harley crowd and usually used to chase away flat spots if using a older non-CV type carb. The consensus there is if you're running a CV you don't need or want this.

Relatively easy to tune on a Harley as there's only one carb, I can see getting a sync on a multi setup might be a problem.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I think they're cool from what I read in the first paragrapgh, but at 1am, wayyyy too much reading after that, lol. If I were to spend any money on carbs, it would be for newer carbs that are easier to tune, I.e. (ZRX carbs). I honestly don't think the BS34 carbs are that hard to tune as long as the bike is stock and carbs are in good shape. Just patience and maybe common sense. That's all I have to work with, lol. Guys knowing exactly how the carb circuits work etc., have an edge on me, but I'll read those webpages during retirement.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I was pretty sure I remember a fellow installing them on his bike, his username is 79xs11f and a search for "dial-a-jet" will reveal the threads he's commented on/in. He's done some serious work on his machine, big bore, polished heads/ports, etc., and seems to swear by them, not at them!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wouldn't getting a set of modern Mikuni carbs be just as good of a replacement? It'd be just like living in '78-'81 when these bikes were made as far as finding parts for them would be concerned.
          78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
          79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Working...
          X