Brake Caliper O-Ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Caliper O-Ring?

So, broke the calipers back down again and cleaned the o-ring channel. Yuck! No wonder those things were sticking. One of the o-rings was trashed. All chewed-up, etc. Good thing I have extras.

My question: One of the o-rings looks tapered, as if it has a back-cut or bevel on it. Top is wider than bottom. Does this mean it's bad?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Not necessarily

I have rebuilt all of the 9 calipers on my 3 bikes, and I observed a bevel in each o-ring, but I am not sue it is the same as you described.

Mine had a smaller ID on the side facing out of the caliper. I put them all back in that way and they work completely fine.
    -Mike
    _________
    '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
    '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
    '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
    '79 XS750SF 17k miles
    '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
    '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
    '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      So, broke the calipers back down again and cleaned the o-ring channel. Yuck! No wonder those things were sticking. One of the o-rings was trashed. All chewed-up, etc. Good thing I have extras.

My question: One of the o-rings looks tapered, as if it has a back-cut or bevel on it. Top is wider than bottom. Does this mean it's bad?
      i think they just get squashed like that. When I rebuilt mine, I used new Viton O rings from a boxed set of assorted sizes that I bought off eBay.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

not tapered

They are called square cut. The cut allows the piston to recede when not braking.
        79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
        85 Honda v65 Magna
        70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
        02 Road King (retirement gift)
        First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Hey Vedgar- I would have taken pics to show my observation, but I don't think the cam can pick-up what my eyes see. If you can picture this:

Three o-rings are the "square-cut", and sit flat on the work bench. Tops and bottoms are even. The "tapered" o-ring is bowed at the bottom where it seems smaller, and the top is wider. So, looking at it from the side, they are angled.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

It's okay, I guess the point is kinda moot, as I have three others without the bevel that I'll use. Unless I.do some good detective work today and find a local parts place that can match the o-ring.
            1979 XS1100F

Comment

misunderstood

Sorry , I thought you talking about the seal for the piston.
              79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
              85 Honda v65 Magna
              70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
              02 Road King (retirement gift)
              First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
                Sorry , I thought you talking about the seal for the piston.
                Oh, I am. The three other o-rings are from two other calipers and a spare. The fourth o-ring is in-question.

Here is a pic of the bad o-ring:

1979 XS1100F

Comment

Here are a few pics of the 0-ring in-question:

1979 XS1100F

Comment

Yep, that ones toast, but you should be ok with a used o-ring in better shape.
                    I have originals in all my bikes and no leaks.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Comms problem here... That's not an O ring. It's a piston seal. I thought you were talking about the tiny o ring.... So ignore my comment re Viton o ring!
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Hey James- Having just re-built these calipers and M/C's twice, I don't recall any o-rings. What are you referring to?
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                          Hey James- Having just re-built these calipers and M/C's twice, I don't recall any o-rings. What are you referring to?
                          im wondering that myself. I think I'm getting my calipers in a twist and may be thinking of my GL1000 ones? They split down the middle and have a little O ring in between the halves!! Wrong bike! Just ignore me.......

Comment

Never seen one deform like that. With all the rusty crusty bikes I have worked on I would have thought I would seen the most of it. But that is an exception, and I would not reuse it. More for the deformity in its round shape than for the angles of the sides. But either direction, it is irregular.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that Scott put that in there from another application.
                              1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X