Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This slope isn't just slippery, It's also darn near vertical...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This slope isn't just slippery, It's also darn near vertical...

Sooooo. I may just have bought the 79F's older sibling today. A '78 but this time she runs. She's a little weather beaten but not abused, 33000 on the clock. Pics later...

Ya gotta have at least two. Right? Right?

I think I may be developing an XS eleven problem but it's a happy problem.
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

I keep telling myself I don't need another one, especially with all of my other bikes. If I do get another, it will be either a '78 stock, or MNS.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

three... or more

You got to have at least three!
      Your main one in whichever style you enjoy most ....bagger, café..
      #2 opposite of #1
      #3 the one you take parts off of in order to not have#1 or #2 not running.
      which leads to #4 -5-6 .....
      The more the merrier
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

I'm a serial monogamist with bikes (and women). For some reason, I can never cope with more than one at once and feel better lavishing my love, affection and money on only one at a time.....
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Agreed, James. But, part of me wants a Special, too, as well as my 79F.
          79 F
          Previously owned: (among others)
          1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
          1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
          1973 Suzuki TM 125
          1979 XS1100 F
          2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
          1991 BMW K75

Comment

It has a vin that does not show up on the table; 2H7 100XXX.
            It is registered as a 78.
            Living to EXcess.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              I'm a serial monogamist with bikes (and women). For some reason, I can never cope with more than one at once and feel better lavishing my love, affection and money on only one at a time.....
              Hi James,
              in a perfect world a man would have 4 wives:-
              Tall & elegant to take out on social occasions.
              Intelligent and ruthless to operate the family's business affairs.
              Kind and nurturing to raise the children.
              Big & burly to scrub floors and do the heavy lifting.
              But in this far from perfect world it's a lucky man who's wife agrees that he can own motorcycles.
              At least four that are plated and road-ready:-
              Big long distance tourer.
              Sport bike for track days.
              Nice classic for Sunday rides and rallies.
              Dual purpose for trail rides.
              Race bikes, antiques and works in progress in addition, as time & space allow.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                I keep telling myself I don't need another one, especially with all of my other bikes. If I do get another, it will be either a '78 stock, or MNS.
                My sentiments exactly, Ian - I'd really like to find a nice '78E or a Midnight - because I need one ...

OK, maybe not
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Only One

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  Hi James,

One woman is not a bad thing, but you need to span your horizon just a little and go for a second, third, fourth, or maybe even a fifth XS1100. Then you will reach your goal of living happily ever after. LOL
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

This is becoming a pattern with me. I bought the Auranthetic electric minibike and had a second within a month. Exact same situation as with these XS' too. First one didn't run and had no papers, the second ran but had papers. First one I souped up, the second was left stock. Spooky coincidence.

Now I need to look for that Vincent Black Shadow and do it all over again...

The pleading/reasoning at the time I bought the Auranthetics was so the wife could have one too. Same situation this time but she wants a smaller bike so anyone with an extra XS650 around, let me know.

Turns out it is a 78E. Has the right colour, carbs and tubless rims.

I'm a lucky man, wife and bike wise.
                    Living to EXcess.

Comment

Hey Orange,

The 78 didn't have Tubeless rims, did you mean to say TUBED rims??
                      If it has tubeless, then someone did a nice swap of the rims so that you could have/use tubeless!

Yeah, I'm a one horse jockey myself...but it was mostly because I am "LAZY", and don't want to have to work on another bike once I have one that's in running condition! I do have a few parts bikes laying around, and a 79SF that could possibly be resurrected if I got ambitious....and I now have a 19 y/o step-grandson that has moved into the area since he got stationed at Oceana Naval Base in Va. Beach, and he's expressed an interest in getting a bike. We recently sold him our 10 y/o Hyundai SantaFe since Swmbo got a new job and so we got her a new little car..Chevy Sonic...~30mpg vs. the barely 22 mpg of the Hyundai. He was able to get it financed thru the Naval Fed. Credit union, only charged him $2K for it, worth a bit over $3K, but we were the original owner, so we knew it was well cared for, will be reliable, and I can help him work on it, etc.. This way he gets to build his credit without having to make car payments for years, and can also get cheaper insurance.

So...in the spring "we" may get to actually work on the bike bringing it back to life, and if so I'll definitely post a build thread. This will also give me a chance to make all of those VIDEOS needed to try to put together some sort of DVD type service manual....or at least to be able to post them to You Tube for folks.

T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
                        Sooooo. I may just have bought the 79F's older sibling today. A '78 but this time she runs. She's a little weather beaten but not abused, 33000 on the clock. Pics later...

Ya gotta have at least two. Right? Right?

I think I may be developing an XS eleven problem but it's a happy problem.
                        2? Yes. This is the only way to be objective on the Standard vs Special question. (of course the particular model you have IS the best.) Objective folks in the know say "It is all good."

And for the rare occasion when you are working on a bike and must go get more parts, You need another bike to ride to fetch parts. I do not know how I ever got by with just one.
                        It is a great big beautiful world out there
                        Brent in GA
                        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Hey Orange,

The 78 didn't have Tubeless rims, did you mean to say TUBED rims??
                          If it has tubeless, then someone did a nice swap of the rims so that you could have/use tubeless!
                          Yes. I did mean tube type. At least the rear is. The front is a tubless type. The tires are both tubeless (and treadless) on front and back so it looks like the rear was converted to tubless.
                          Living to EXcess.

Comment

Working...
                          X