Side-Gapping Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side-Gapping Spark Plugs

Read a few threads on here, and then some more off-site regarding side-gapping spark plugs. Old race trick for larger flame. Anybody do this?
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

With the Platinum and Double Platinum plugs of today they'd be ruined if you side gapped them.

You'd get just as much savings and or performance gains from maintaining tire air pressure, cleaning the bugs off the windshield, and two hand rubbed coats of wax on the tank

Oh yah, almost forgot wear Yoga pants to cut down on wind resistance.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      Read a few threads on here, and then some more off-site regarding side-gapping spark plugs. Old race trick for larger flame. Anybody do this?
      Key word here is 'old'....

There is a miniscule amount of power to be had, although to get all of it you really need to index the plugs like the racers do. And as is said, you'll ruin any modern 'tipped' plug if you try this.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

tried it with stock BP6ES NGK's. even when indexed, no noticeable improvement in either starting or running. but I did get easier starting with NGK iridium plugs.

Comment

Thanks for this guys.
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Autolite AR Plugs

I use the Autolite AR plugs in my racing engines. These plugs are "side gapped" out of the box. Maybe you could look up one to fit the 11s (if applicable) and try them. Summit Racing is one source.

You index plugs for one of two reasons - for clearance issues (piston to plug) or to better ignite the intake charge (gap aimed towards intake valve) for more complete combustion. You may not "feel" any difference in the performance of your bike with indexing, but you will have a cleaner, more efficient combustion.
            Last edited by MPittma100; 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

+1 on the iridium plugs. They seem to spark more easily and catch more quickly.
              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Lmfaooo. I like your signature LoHo.
                1979 XS1100F

Comment

I have side gapped std NGKs on my G and have only really noticed a couple of improvements. One has been that it doesn't load up while waiting at idle at the traffic lights. The other has been just sheer roll on power at just about any speed. This bike was never wanting for get up and go, but now it seems like it's just waiting to be asked for it. Have had them in there for the better part of a year and a half without issues.
                  jmtcw
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                  X