Trunk Lens Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Lens Repair

Does anyone know of a way/idea to repair a broken or missing lens from an old KG trunk? Or anybody have a replacement lens? Here's what I have:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Broken Lens

This is not much help, but there is a way to reproduce the lens if you have a good one to use as a mold. I do not know of anyone personally. An internet search may reveal a source.

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hey there Billy,

I did a search on the Net, ebay, only found a couple, apparently they are quite OLD, and most likely not in production, at least not that specific style.

This ebay add for a complete trunk/saddlebag set had some better photos..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLDWI.../321234694971?

with more angles of view, and I could then see that your lights actually wrap around the box, go around an angle as such, a bit tougher to find, fix, fabricate than just a flat unit!

Instead of trying to find a replacement light cover, you might look for some complete replacement light fixtures that would fit into the space, may take 2, one across the back, and another on the side, but then you would have better side visibility with dual lights! I've seen a decent variety of lights/LED types on www.superbrightleds.com in their truck and other sections!

Good luck.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

trunk light

I have a trunk just like that on my 80G. If you find any replacement lens please let me know mine are starting to crack, thanks
        joe
        1980xs1100

Comment

You might try some glue for acrylic (Plexiglas) plastic.
          Look around for plastic fabricators. (sign companies, etc)
          They might give you some advice.

CZ

Comment

Just happens I have that same trunk on the SG I am working on. It is just sitting in the garage waiting for me to get an engine back together so I can start putting the rest of the bike back together. Let me know if you want any pictures, or measurements to work from.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
              Does anyone know of a way/idea to repair a broken or missing lens from an old KG trunk? Or anybody have a replacement lens?
              Hi Billy,
              most likely you are SOL finding a replacement.
              Make a template from builder's flashing (0.018" aluminum sheet) it cuts with kitchen scissors and bends by hand.
              Flatten it out again and transfer the shape to a sheet of red acrylic.
              Hot air gun the acrylic so it's floppy and drape it over a shaped wooden block to set up.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                You might try some glue for acrylic (Plexiglas) plastic.
                Look around for plastic fabricators. (sign companies, etc)
                They might give you some advice.

CZ
                Yeah, if it is just a crack, I would repair it. Looking at the picture, it seems like the inside is flat and rectangular which would make it easier to replace as TC mentioned. I like LEDs especially for marker lights.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                X