Star Plate Bolt Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Plate Bolt Size

So, as I have searched through the numerous amount of threads on star plate springs and bolts I have yet to come across one that states the exact size the bolt is. I wish to replace my current ones with my second spring replacement, the part number search does not bring up specifications on the bolt. I imagine this is something that can be bought at the local hardware store, anyone with this knowledge? I can compare them in store but rather be precise
    79 XS1100
    fj1200 carbs
    Dyna green coils
    2nd gear fix
    Frame cut w/ 06 nightster seat
    RPM dual UNI pod filters, open headers
    Clubman bars, drag specialties speedo, xj headlamp
    Deleted fenders, Barnett springs
    23 Yrs. old livin' life at 125mph

If it was me, I'd rather take a bolt to the bolt place and pick up what I need and know right on the spot that they are identical to what I brought with me. Imagine going to the bolt place with a spec like "Metric 8.8 Zinc-Plated Steel Hex Head Cap Screw, M5 Size, 16mm Length, .8mm Pitch, Fully Threaded", have the kid behind the counter go in the back and get something out on the wrong bin because he got distracted by a text message from his girlfriend, and you get all the way home before you find out they're wrong.

If you're going to take one along 'just to be sure', just go with that. The markings on the head will tell the bolt guy what grade you need, a magnet will tell him if its stainless steel, etc, etc.

YMMV
    Ken Talbot

Comment

hmmm. You know more about bolts than I do that's for sure. Most parts guys in my area look at you crooked in confusion even at the simplest of requests. That or they just say they don't have it, you look behind em and its right there on a shelf. Will do, thanks.
      79 XS1100
      fj1200 carbs
      Dyna green coils
      2nd gear fix

Comment

Hey Murphy,

Yeah, Ken is one of the pillars of this site....see his user title!

My question is WHY are you wanting/needing to replace the bolts??

The heads shouldn't be rounded off or worn because they are not under extreme amounts of torque....something like ~10 footpounds, same for the threads. They are special shoulder head designed, no washer used.

You say the second set of springs. Which ones are you going to be putting in, and are you trying to fix a clutch slippage issue with this??

Folks are highly recommending the BARNETT springs, much stronger and durable than even the heavy duty type you can find on places like partsnmore.com and such. I put in a set of the HD type and it wasn't but a few years later and my clutch with NEW frictions and cleaned unvarnished steels started slipping...that's when I did my extra steel plate mod and another set of new HD springs. My previous new springs had already SPRUNG to a tad below spec length in just a few years! However, if I had known about the BARNETT springs, probably would have not had or bothered to do the extra STEEL plate mod. But mine is still not slipping now many years later, so the extra steel provides the extra compression/tension needed to keep the cheap HD springs well within their tension range to prevent slippage.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

And...be careful with that star plate. They break easily.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

One thing I will mention is that if you can not get the exact length of bolts as were stock, you can actually get longer ones. The stock threading for the bolts will accommodate a bit longer bolts without an issue.
            More knowledgeable people than me will reply to whether or not that would change the torque values. Personally I change them on every clutch change...now... because I have previously had issues with stretched bolts. My fault or previous owners is still in question, but for a few bucks worth the investment.
            I buy mine from my local Yamaha dealer and the fact that they did not have the correct length one day when I needed a bike running, is how I found that the longer bolts have plenty of room.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

correct Rasputin! im actually changing them due to the amount of people that have had issues with stress stretching.

T. Cat its just that 34 year old metal doesn't always make me feel very confident. Being in construction and seeing what age does to metal I just don't trust it and would rather maintain than have issues later on and having to do it later. I am having slippage and already have the Barnetts sitting next to me haha (previous springs are EBC). Before you ask, I am using 20w50 "dino juice". have no issues with it and I change my oil monthly so its cheap.
              79 XS1100
              fj1200 carbs
              Dyna green coils
              2nd gear fix

Comment

Oh and btw guys, just cuz my title says new. don't let it fool you. Ive read damn near every thread archived on this site haha. kinda scary how much you can learn from a forum.
                79 XS1100
                fj1200 carbs
                Dyna green coils
                2nd gear fix

Comment

Just to finish the thread off. A new clutch cable and Barnett springs, no more clutch slippage through the whole rpm range every gear. springs were ebc and extremely worn out. sad thing is they were only a few months old. time for some fun!
                  79 XS1100
                  fj1200 carbs
                  Dyna green coils
                  2nd gear fix

Comment

Working...
                  X