Some pictures of my XS11 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pictures of my XS11 project

Hey all, i havent posted much but thought i would give you some pics of my project. Acquired bike from father, was sitting for approximately 20 years so lots of items needing resto/replace.
    Hoping to have it road ready by next summer
    First getting it running

Fixing the pickup coil wires

Fixed!

Old busted fuse box

Improved new style blade fusebox

Stripping brake calipers

Painted brake calipers and horns

Pulled off nasty rims to replace tires and current condition, all tore apart
    80 SG

Great job so far. jsinc. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

Comment

Fuse block

That looks good. Where did you buy the fuse block from?
      78 E
      I'm going to put a Batman Costume in my closet just to screw with myself when I get altzeimers

Comment

Originally posted by MtMark1100 View Post
        That looks good. Where did you buy the fuse block from?
        TC here sells them....... Aka Topcat.
        Last edited by James England; 01-01-2014, 06:19 AM.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It looks like you have the right idea. Make it stop and go. The service manual will help guide you to everything that should get your attention. Perhaps you're using it already. Hopefully, we'll see you on that bike at one of the rallies!
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I wish my garage was that tidy
            82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
            Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              TC here sells them....... Aka Topcat.
              Hey James and MtMark,

I do resell them, but the ones I provide are 6 slotted, both for those that have the newer model XS11's with the extra separate main fuse aside from the other 4, head, tail, turn, Ign. SO...he acquired his from another source. It's the same style as the ones I sell, but only a 4 slot. I just sold out of my recent batch order, I'll be placing another order today, so if anybody wants to order one, it will be slightly delayed until I receive them from my wholesaler/provider. See the For Sale Forum, Parts, then parts/services by members sticky thread, scroll down to reply #10 for info, photos and such.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

got the fuse box on ebay. Just got the old dry rotted tires pulled off rims tonight, lots of cleanup on those rims.. I have a Haynes manual and 2 other manuals i got in PDF form, there is a lot of information i got from this site too
                You all have been a really good resource in helping my restoration!
                80 SG

Comment

Can I offer a tip on the pick-up wires, they break because the vac advance moves the pick-ups around, and they broke where they did because the wire clip you have not re-used breaks them there, as you have them now they will break next time right at the pick-up coil making them very difficult to repair again.

Re-use that second clip and give the wires as much slack as you dare but that they won't get rubbed by the timing disc, strip back the webbed covering, thats where you need the slack, it vastly reduces the localized bending/fatigue breaks in the wires.

Originally posted by justinc1081 View Post
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

hmm good tip, i have that cover off at the moment anyway, i will put those wires back in that second clip
                    80 SG

Comment

Wire Breakage From Constant Movement

Another procedure to help prevent wire breakage is to create a loop in the wires. May be too late for this application, but works very well.

Mike
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                        Another procedure to help prevent wire breakage is to create a loop in the wires. May be too late for this application, but works very well.

Mike
                        Yeah Mike, thats what I was trying to say with the "slack", you worded it better. My first XS1100 broke its pick-up wires at 9K miles, I added a big loop by removing the metal clip that holds the wires against the crankcases and the bike has now done 82K without breaking them again.
                        Tom
                        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                        X