Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 sh 1100

Howdy Ya'll
    Just returned from a road trip to Alburqurque to retrieve two more 11's.
    A 78 standard and an 81 sh .
    My shop manual only covers 78,79,80.
    I was wondering what the differences might be?
    I did notice the larger tank, black valve covers, black rear diff,
    I thought I read here that 81 models have a different tci without the
    vacuum advance but this one has vac. line.
    Serial #4r0000401
    Please advise...Thanks
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

The 81's still have the vacuum advance, they don't have the mechanical advance behind the timing plate, that is controlled by the 4R0 TCI.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey there,

You can get a copy of the manual with the supplement for 81 on Catatonic Bug's site.

The 81 does have a fancier TCI, it has the cent. adv. curves programmed into it, so it doesn't have a mechanical centrifugal advance, but it still uses the vac. adv., so that's why you still have the vac. pot on it. The ignition coils are 3 ohm, it doesn't use a ballast resistor in the circuit. It also has an emergency flasher circuit, the switch is under the turn signal switch. The carbs are similar to the 80 special. That's about the gist for the main differences.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey there,

You can get a copy of the manual with the supplement for 81 on Catatonic Bug's site.

The 81 does have a fancier TCI, it has the cent. adv. curves programmed into it, so it doesn't have a mechanical centrifugal advance, but it still uses the vac. adv., so that's why you still have the vac. pot on it. The ignition coils are 3 ohm, it doesn't use a ballast resistor in the circuit. It also has an emergency flasher circuit, the switch is under the turn signal switch. The carbs are similar to the 80 special. That's about the gist for the main differences.

T.C.
        HiTC,
        I love your line ' the carbs are similar to the 80 special"
        Which I read as: Just enough different to mess you up
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Is your 81 a special or a standard? You mention a larger tank, that was only on the Standard H model. All the special models have the same capacity tank. The difference is they put different color specs in each year. The 79 I think was gold specs, the 80 is red, and the 81 has blue flake.

The side covers have different emblems, the 80 model says "XS Eleven Special" The 81 model says "Eleven Special" in cursive writing and with a "NIKE" swish under it.

For the 81 model they put a black outline around the timing cover, alternator cover, and the rear foot peg / exhaust brackets. They also painted the final drive black on the 81 Special.

The seats have a very subtle difference.

As has been pointed out, from the functional standpoint, the 81 got the 3 ohm coils and the 4RO TCI. No ballast resistor required. It also has a slightly different turn signal flasher unit, and starter relay. The 81 engine had the valve cover, and the cylinders painted black with the ribs all being scraped and polished on both.

Carbs are identical, with the exception of the float bowls. Those will interchange between the carbs, just the 80 has a drain plug and the 81 has the drain screw with a spot to attach a hose. They can be jetted the same and run just as well on either 80 or 81 with the same jetting. Although I do believe the needle jets and emulsion tubes may be different between the two. I think the 80 carbs still had adjustable needles, the 81 does not.

Otherwise, the 80 and 81 are the exact same bike. And realistically, other than the looks of things, the parts are 100% interchangeable with the exception of the ignition components issue. Even then, if you swap both the TCI and timing setup, it all works the same.
          Last edited by DGXSER; 12-27-2013, 08:12 PM.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

81 sh

Hello again,
            As usual I got some quick and informative responses,
            Thanks a lot!!
            It is a standard model.
            I tried to post some pics.
            But my computer skills are limited.
            The po, had started the tranny fix but never completed it.
            I have a great pic. of it (as I found it) upside down in his garage.
            And the old saying "do they all look the same upside down true"?
            I would have to say.. Yes..lol
            Thanks again guys
            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

simple way to post pics is by using a separate picture hosting site like Photobucket...its free...once you sign up and have downloaded your pics...click on the pic itself...it will com up along with some codes on the right side of the screen click on img code. and copy it will indicate that it was copied...then you come here and in your message box click paste...be sure to leave a space of one line between any text and the pic link...
              Last edited by madmax-im; 12-28-2013, 07:01 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
                Hello again,
                As usual I got some quick and informative responses,
                Thanks a lot!!
                It is a standard model.
                I tried to post some pics.
                But my computer skills are limited.
                The po, had started the tranny fix but never completed it.
                I have a great pic. of it (as I found it) upside down in his garage.
                And the old saying "do they all look the same upside down true"?
                I would have to say.. Yes..lol
                Thanks again guys
                With a 4RO prefix, if that's off the frame, you got a Special. A 4R1 prefix is a Standard(Venturer). Same numbers on frame as engine? Leading front axle or straight? 16" or 17" rear wheel? Could easily have an 80Standard tank in place of the Special tank minus the octy. assembly...........
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                X